Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2020, 16:33   #31
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4108 High Pressure Pump Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
What sort of online fuel pump is it? Though TAD said there is no need for it, I just can't seem to bleed the air out of this system.
https://m.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/...facetpumps.php

Makes bleeding a breeze and can act as a lift pump should your mechanical one fail.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 09:54   #32

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
https://m.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/...facetpumps.php

Makes bleeding a breeze and can act as a lift pump should your mechanical one fail.
Yeah, after clearing our blocked fuel line from the tank, starting the motor on the good tank, I swap to the tank with the newly cleared fuel line.

Motor cut out, and after 100 pumps of the lift pump with primary banjo open, then 100 pumps of the lift pump with HP bleed valves open she still wouldn't start.

One of those facet pumps I think I will install!!
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 17:01   #33

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We installed an electric automotive fuel pump (very cheap, very easy to get, very reliable mounted inside the boat, very easy to install). This made life much, much easier whenever it is necessary to push fuel from the tank to fill up the Racor 500 filter housing after a primary or secondary filter change. It will also push fuel through the high pressure pump bleed points. I have not had to crack an injector since the installation so I don't know if it will push fuel that far through the system.

It is installed as a "branch" receiving fuel through a small valve that directs fuel from the tank, into the pump and then into the system upstream of the primary filter. I close the valve when everything is running normally to make it easier for the fuel to get directly from the tank into the system. However, I did forget to do this on one occasion and everything still ran normally.
Old 17-05-2020, 23:32   #34

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
We have a 4.108 and a Racor 500 primary filter. I used to use a small bottle of fuel to top up the filter housing after changing a filter. Then I installed a small electric fuel pump to do that job. It will push fuel all the way through the secondary (on engine filter) which is helpful after changing that filter too. We had a problem with the Racor (plugged with fibres possibly from a paper towel left in the tank after I had it cleaned) and the engine quit because of fuel starvation. The small fuel pump would push fuel all the way through the HP pump bleed screws (we have a different pump than the one in your photo) and it was not necessary to crack the injector lines. The pump was about $20 and simple to install. Highly recommended. These are great engines but can be a pain to bleed.
What pump did you buy?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:08   #35

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
What pump did you buy?
It was a generic automotive gasoline pump - i.e. for a car. I was assured by the marine mechanic that recommended it that because it is built for gasoline it will meet all safety requirements for diesel. I went into an autoparts store in La Paz, Mexico and asked for an electric fuel pump. They provided me with an unbranded, new in the box pump. Mexico has a very large industry making autoparts for the North American auto industry etc. I would send a picture but the boat is in Tahiiti and we are in Vancouver with no idea of when we might get back there.

Tags
perkins, pump