Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 17:26   #1

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida
Perkins Aftercooler

Maybe this is not the right forum to ask, but I hope somebody might have some experience with it. I have an old Perkins 6 354T. The aftercooler has corroded very badly.
It 's difficult to find a replacement and even if I can, it costs a small fortune.
My question is: How much power would I lose (in percents) if I run a turbocharged engine without an aftercooler .
T.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:36   #2

Re: Perkins Aftercooler

I cant answer your question, but there were a couple of those engines for sale on Craigs list up here in the northwest pretty cheap a few months ago. Not sure if you could link up for parts or not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 17:52   #3

Boat: csy 37

friend of mine has a 34' trawler with that engine. his aftercooler also broke down on him and he didn't want to spend the big bucks to fix it. he's been running without it for the past couple of years. he thinks his fuel mileage has improved and the loss in power was not that great at the speeds he normally cruises.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 18:30   #4

Boat: CS 36t

This will have a large effect on performance and it will vary will rpm. Without the cooler, the intake air will be hotter and therefore less dense. There will be greater losses through your valves and the engine will tend to run richer. At low load, this can occasionally be a good thing because it will make your combustion and expansion more efficient. At higher loads, you will not have sufficient oxygen to fully burn the fuel hurting both power and economy.

Another thing to be concerned with is your EGT's. Without the cooler, your exhaust gas temperature will be higher potentially to the point of being harmful to the engine. Without a pyro gauge, I would not run without the cooler.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins