Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 17:49   #16

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII
Re: Perkins Diesel 4-154 turbo kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
We have 4.154 on Morgan 46. 33000 lbs, 19" feathering prop. Never see more than 7 knot in calm conditions. Max RPM is 3000. Upwind in 30 knots with 6 to 8 ft seas we slow to 4.5 knots, even 3.5 in a bad wave train, main reefed and strapped tight. Grin and bear it, or wait in harbor.

If you have more power, you will need a bigger prop or run higher RPM. Doubt that just higher pitch will help in windy conditions.
Gee, and I told wifey the 1250nm trip should take 10, maybe 11 days if we hug the coast. I calculated that at 6kts, where my 'calculated hull speed' is 8.2kts.

Good thing we are allowing another 5 days.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 17:52   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Actually in high wind and waves, you need a lower pitch, reason is a boat bashing into wind and waves is like a truck going up hill, you need a lower gear to pull the hill.

The secret if you will has already been stated, motorsail, or wait until the weather is better.
If motorsailing it’s likely you will have to fall off 20 degrees or so to see the benefit.

I hate bashing to windward under motor with a passion, but sometimes the wind isn’t what was forecasted.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 18:06   #18

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually in high wind and waves, you need a lower pitch, reason is a boat bashing into wind and waves is like a truck going up hill, you need a lower gear to pull the hill.

The secret if you will has already been stated, motorsail, or wait until the weather is better.
If motorsailing it’s likely you will have to fall off 20 degrees or so to see the benefit.

I hate bashing to windward under motor with a passion, but sometimes the wind isn’t what was forecasted.
Our first boat was an IT40 Trawl'RSailer, so I am well acquainted with motorsailing. We will have to stay watch all the way to the WA line, but between ducking in and as you said, bashing our way home. The wet coast is never forgiving any time I have been on it, so I expect it will show is a good time.

While I was in LA, I went to Venice Beach. Stand-in in the wind, I took a compass reading and it was coming from the WNW. If we have that all the way, other then the south flowing current through OR and CA, we should be able to sail through both states. Here's hoping ....or would that be hopping.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 18:26   #19

Sure seems to me that the only compelling rationale for turbocharging is when operating at altitude. Presumably you're going to be at sea level in your hoat. So, if you really, really need more power, then you need more displacement or perhaps injectors that shoot a skoshi bit more fuel, or both. Truth is, with the waterline lengths we're talking about, even the increase in horsepower probably won't translate into much of an increase in boat speed when attempting to punch into a head sea. The hull just starts hobby horsing.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 09:54   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
Sure seems to me that the only compelling rationale for turbocharging is when operating at altitude. Presumably you're going to be at sea level in your hoat. So, if you really, really need more power, then you need more displacement or perhaps injectors that shoot a skoshi bit more fuel, or both. Truth is, with the waterline lengths we're talking about, even the increase in horsepower probably won't translate into much of an increase in boat speed when attempting to punch into a head sea. The hull just starts hobby horsing.

Yes, we never actually max our power. Never. Well, except for the bar crossing 10 minutes at Bahia Del Sol El Salvador. Max power is too noisy, eats too much fuel and uncomfortable upwind.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:17   #21

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I've got a yanmar turbo diesel. Without turbo I'm looking at around 45hp, with turbo we are at 75hp.

Dry weight we are 33k lbs(42footer).

Hope your trip home is going well!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, perkins