Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 13:34   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Perkins starter solenoid - What model and questions on install

Hi everyone,

I've inherited this 40' Beneteu First and I'm trying to keep my Dad's dream alive for the rest of the family. It seems like the starter solenoid is on it's way out. I went to run the motor for the first time in a long time and it wouldn't turn over. After playing around with a test light it finally started. I let the motor get to temp and then shut it down. I then tried to start it again and it wouldn't turn over. Then I was looking at the solenoid and realized that green wire was not hooked up to anything. I must have moved it when I was playing around with the multimeter.

The green wire appears to go to the starter. Originally I thought it would be a ground but I'm not so sure. Does anyone recognize the model so I could order another or does anyone have a schematic so I can see how it's supposed to be hooked up? I mistakingly didn't take a picture of the motor so I don't know the model or have much to go off of and now I'm 4 hours away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey Starter Solenoid.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	230693  
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 13:57   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Perkins starter solenoid - What model and questions on install

Looks like the same/similar starter on our 4.236. I've replaced the solenoid before and it worked for a few years.

Not sure where you live, but do you have an automotive alternator/starter rebuild shop near you? Would have the whole starter checked out/rebuilt so you have a reliable starter.
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 14:34   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Before I went too far down the road of pulling the starter I'd clean up those connections.
  • Disconnect the battery for safety and clean up the connections at the battery while you are there.
  • Disconnect the big red battery wire and the two other red wires bolted with it.
  • Burnish all of the ring connectors and clean up the threaded stud.
  • Lose the stainless steel washers - they are terrible conductors.
  • Pull the yellow/red wire and clean up both its terminal and the one on the starter it connects to.
  • If the green wire is on a different terminal (hard to tell) do the same with it.
  • Put it all back together with a corrosion prevention coating (there are lots of choices/opinions here)
  • Find the negative cable from the battery to the block and do the same thing with that connection
  • Reconnect the battery

See if that solves your problem. Except for access issues (we all have those on boats) it shouldn't be more than about a half-hour's work to see if that resolves things.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 14:43   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Hi everyone,

I've inherited this 40' Beneteu First and I'm trying to keep my Dad's dream alive for the rest of the family. It seems like the starter solenoid is on it's way out. I went to run the motor for the first time in a long time and it wouldn't turn over. After playing around with a test light it finally started. I let the motor get to temp and then shut it down. I then tried to start it again and it wouldn't turn over. Then I was looking at the solenoid and realized that green wire was not hooked up to anything. I must have moved it when I was playing around with the multimeter.

The green wire appears to go to the starter. Originally I thought it would be a ground but I'm not so sure. Does anyone recognize the model so I could order another or does anyone have a schematic so I can see how it's supposed to be hooked up? I mistakingly didn't take a picture of the motor so I don't know the model or have much to go off of and now I'm 4 hours away.
I am not sure but I think what you are looking at is this:
  • The heavy red cable is the supply from the battery
  • The two smaller red cables take power to other devices
  • The green wire probably also takes power somewhere as well
  • All of these cables are energized whenever the battery it turned on, so none of them go directly to the starter or it would always be running.
  • The yellow and red wire is from the key and it only has power on it when you hit the starter button
  • When the yellow and red wire gets power it is energized the solenoid snaps a metal plate inside of it across the two big bolts, electrically connecting the bolts. It also throws a lever to move a pinion gear to engage the flywheel.
  • The big bolt (nut) on the right should go to the starter, maybe internally, so when the solenoid is energized power goes to the starter and it turns the engine. BTW if you cannot find where the big green wire goes, if it goes into the starter possibly it should be on the second big bolt (an external connection from the solenoid to the starter). You need to see where the other end of that green wire goes, for sure.

Most commonly there is low power to the solenoid and it does not sufficiently throw the plate which connects the two big bolts.

Remove all of the wires, careful to not let the big red one touch metal or you will have a BIG spark, and clean all the mating surfaces of the connections.

When it is all back together you can do some tests. Obviously if it all works the engine will start.

If it does not turn over but you hear a loud "clunk" that means the solonoid is throwing, but somehow it does not connect the power internally to the starter. This may indicate a bad solenoid.

If you hear no "clunk" then you may not be getting enough power to the yellow and red wire to operate the solenoid.

If you hear the clunk and the engine tries to turn then you have a lack of power to the starter. Time to check and clean all the battery cables and ground cables, plus check the battery.

A couple of further tests, if you are a little brave, is to take a big flat head screw driver and use it to short the two bolts together. This will bypass the solenoid and may start the engine. Be prepared for a spark, to do it with some conviction and don't get startled and pull back. It this cranks the engine then you definately are not getting solenoid operation. Why remains to be seen.

You can also take the yellow wire off and use a screw driver or a temporary jumper to connect the teminal where the yellow wire goes to the big red cable. This bypasses the start button.

Using some logic you may be able to deduce what is happening based on the results of these tests.

Finally, you can remove the entire starter solenoid unit and take it to an auto parts store. You may be able to get a replacement. I got one for my Yanmar at Auto Zone for $56 when the Yanmar part was several 100's
Old 19-01-2021, 15:44   #5

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am not sure but I think what you are looking at is this:
  • The heavy red cable is the supply from the battery
  • The two smaller red cables take power to other devices
  • The green wire probably also takes power somewhere as well
  • All of these cables are energized whenever the battery it turned on, so none of them go directly to the starter or it would always be running.
  • The yellow and red wire is from the key and it only has power on it when you hit the starter button
  • When the yellow and red wire gets power it is energized the solenoid snaps a metal plate inside of it across the two big bolts, electrically connecting the bolts. It also throws a lever to move a pinion gear to engage the flywheel.
  • The big bolt (nut) on the right should go to the starter, maybe internally, so when the solenoid is energized power goes to the starter and it turns the engine. BTW if you cannot find where the big green wire goes, if it goes into the starter possibly it should be on the second big bolt (an external connection from the solenoid to the starter). You need to see where the other end of that green wire goes, for sure.

Most commonly there is low power to the solenoid and it does not sufficiently throw the plate which connects the two big bolts.

Remove all of the wires, careful to not let the big red one touch metal or you will have a BIG spark, and clean all the mating surfaces of the connections.

When it is all back together you can do some tests. Obviously if it all works the engine will start.

If it does not turn over but you hear a loud "clunk" that means the solonoid is throwing, but somehow it does not connect the power internally to the starter. This may indicate a bad solenoid.

If you hear no "clunk" then you may not be getting enough power to the yellow and red wire to operate the solenoid.

If you hear the clunk and the engine tries to turn then you have a lack of power to the starter. Time to check and clean all the battery cables and ground cables, plus check the battery.

A couple of further tests, if you are a little brave, is to take a big flat head screw driver and use it to short the two bolts together. This will bypass the solenoid and may start the engine. Be prepared for a spark, to do it with some conviction and don't get startled and pull back. It this cranks the engine then you definately are not getting solenoid operation. Why remains to be seen.

You can also take the yellow wire off and use a screw driver or a temporary jumper to connect the teminal where the yellow wire goes to the big red cable. This bypasses the start button.

Using some logic you may be able to deduce what is happening based on the results of these tests.

Finally, you can remove the entire starter solenoid unit and take it to an auto parts store. You may be able to get a replacement. I got one for my Yanmar at Auto Zone for $56 when the Yanmar part was several 100's

Thanks for everyone that replied but especially this post! Extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I will do just that as well as cleaning terminals/replacing wire ends with the waterproof type.

Looking forward to joining this community because if I do it means I've found a successful way to afford keeping this boat and therefore keeping the dream alive. My Dad (and the rest of the family) loved this boat.

Next post will be about the brand new never used north sails and their fitment.
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, perkins