Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13   #16

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Perkins Starting Issues - Help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimshaw View Post
Another sympton that I should have picked up was that when bleeding and cracking open the injector line at the injectors and turning the engine it took a long time for fuel to squirt out.
Dick Grimshaw
After you're done bleeding the injection pump with manual lever, How long should it take for fuel to squirt out of the injector connection when you're cranking it with starter motor?

I'm not getting a steady stream. I took out injectors and oriented them sideaways, and the spray pattern is good(no dribbling) but it skips spraying quite often. Like is seems there is a pause or a turn where 2 or 3 out of 4 fire a spray and the other(s) don't spray.

I am doing this on a stand with fuel coming directly out of the jerry can to the lift pump. I've patched fuel leaks associated with ferrules and compression fittings and nuts, like return line, and connections around lift pump.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:31   #17

air?...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

This sounds like a Whole new issue then what the orriginal post was about. What exactly is the problem? Are you having to bleed the system to get engine to start? If you are trying to use the manual lift pump to get fuel to the injectors, that will not work. The only way to get proper fuel to come out the injectors is by turning the engine over thus turning the injector pump. If you took the injector pump off or had it rebuilt, you will need to prim the injector pump with the manual pump, then turn the engine over to get fuel to the injectors. This can take some time. I usally take the injectior fuel lines off the injectors and put a small can under them, then turn the motor over untill they are about half full, then put the injector lines back on the injectors and start the engine.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I usally take the injectior fuel lines off the injectors and put a small can under them, then turn the motor over untill they are about half full, then put the injector lines back on the injectors and start the engine.
It is a different issue but related to starting and fuel.
So that sounds to me like I need to keep turning the engine with a starter motor for a while. I should probably increase the starting battery cranking amp capacity. This one was from a previous gasoline engine.
The other problem is that its been cold like 40F every night i try to start it. This thermostart located at the intake is not helping that much.
On another side question, Is that thermostart wired to starter, or its a separate switch that turns the thermostart few seconds before cranking?
Old 02-05-2012, 15:00   #20

Is the engine in the boat or out? I wouldnt crank more than 20 seconds or less at a time.... the starter and cables get quite hot. You could buy a cheap electric fuel pump and put it in line from the tank. Crank the engine with at least one injector nut cracked a little. Look for air bubbles coming out. Mine had no thermostat at the air intake... not sure what that is. Try leaving a lightbulb next to the engine over night.

Old 02-05-2012, 16:05   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Is this a Perkins engine? If you are dealing with the fuel lines at the injector ends they will only spray when timed to. Only on the firing stroke of the piston. You probably know that already.

My experience with any diesel starting is that the battery needs to be well charged and the engine needs to spin fast especially when its cold. If you have a heater at the air intake you need to let it warm up a bit then hit the starter button.

If you have to bleed the system each time you start your engine then your fuel lines have a leak allowing air into the system. Sometimes it's an easy find but more often it requires tracing from the source. Each nut and fitting needs to be air tight.

kind regards,
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10   #22

Its out of the boat, just finished re-building it. This is the first time starting after a re-build. I have it on the stand, and i want to run it and track any potential leaks, and problems before putting it in. Its a 4-108 block (westerbeke 40).
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17   #23

The little electric fuel pump eliminates a lot of bleeding issues on some rigs. (Napa auto $15-20) Start bleeding at the engine mounted filter, I think there is a little bleed screw there. Continue on to the injector pump bleed screw, then to the injectors.