Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 12:43   #16

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Pictures of your twin filter installation please

Here's mine. 2 Shelco SS filter housings (first 10 micron->Pump->2nd 5 micron), Carter P4070 pump. Various valves to either direct fuel back to tank or as an alternative I can bypass stock Racor 500 and push 5 micron fuel to engine in case I get a clogged filter.

In reality I never get a clogged filter or even a dirty one. I change it every fall regardless out of habit. My system is really a polishing setup with added redundancy to act as a separate fuel delivery system should I lose the Facet lift pump or get a clogged filter.

I bought the Shelcos for $14/ea on ebay brand new. The filters I buy from McMaster for $5/ea and they are enormous.

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably get smaller filter housings, mine are 10" tall. Or if I couldn't find those I'd get a pair of filter bases and run commercial screw on filters.

The one thing I don't like about mine is that the gasket is a little fussy to get just right and when you open it, you also need to prime it by pouring fuel into the housings. I could probably replumb the pump to do that but until the first filter is full it won't prime. Not a big deal really since I only change filters 1/yr and my system runs when engine is running.

Other than that I love. Always have clean fuel, Racor bowl is spotless.

I also put in a separate fuel pickup tube that goes all the way to bottom of tank corner which I found is key. Before I did this, the polisher pump was way stronger than Facet and it would starve the engine. They share a common return though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160313_174444.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	194598  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 15:11   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I got a KTI Filter Boss. Works like a charm for the last four years. I have yet to put in the Walbro inline pump mentioned in this blog post, because I've yet to need it. But I have it should that change.

You will probably find solving the issue of "excessive suck" helpful as troubleshooting these installations is good to grasp.

https://alchemy2009.blogspot.com/2015/08/these-fuelish-things-revisited.html

Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:10   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

We have Fleetguard filters on Redemption. We bought a double kit with better filtration than a Racor 500 would have done for cheaper. Purchased from Seaboard Marine (Sbmar) who sells the filter housings with gauge and sells the Fleetguard filters. The filters have two stages each. So we have filtration from 20 to 10 micron on the first filter then 10 to 5 micron on the second. No water gets passed, not even emulsified.

Link for filter housing kit:
https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-do...iltration-kit/

Links for filters
https://www.sbmar.com/product/fleetg...ilter-w-drain/

I'll have to snap a picture of our setup when I get to the boat.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
We have Fleetguard filters on Redemption. We bought a double kit with better filtration than a Racor 500 would have done for cheaper. Purchased from Seaboard Marine (Sbmar) who sells the filter housings with gauge and sells the Fleetguard filters. The filters have two stages each. So we have filtration from 20 to 10 micron on the first filter then 10 to 5 micron on the second. No water gets passed, not even emulsified.

Link for filter housing kit:
https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-do...iltration-kit/

Links for filters

I'll have to snap a picture of our setup when I get to the boat.
That's a pretty nice setup. I like the spin-on filters myself since they tighten down on a good oring.

You could make a very similar setup for cheap using this dual head filter base

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/24093.html

and a pair of 3/4-16 threaded filters like these

Old 27-06-2019, 12:11   #20

Another nice filter base with NPT for a vacuum gage and built in mounting holes. Probably more common 1"-12 filter thread.

https://www.baldwinfiltersrus.com/ba...r-dsl-eng.html
Old 27-06-2019, 14:46   #21

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I like the squeeze bulb with clear tubing on an isolated branch idea. I'm looking to install two identical filters switchable, though...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 18:14   #22

Easy enough to do with a 4-6 port manifold. Could even use 1 port with a long hose to pull fuel in from jerry cans or dump all fuel in case of bad fuel. Just valves.
Old 29-06-2019, 19:16   #23

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I have 4 Racor 500 as I have two engines. the system uses one pump, two vacuum gauges four three way valves and two four way valves as it also does the generator. It polishes using the bottom most opening in the fuel tank. There is an additional valve hooked to a hose with a length of copper tubing on it to pull fuel through the filters from a Jerry can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0917181101-1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	194976  
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 20:07   #24

Boat: Catalina 36

Here is my install.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	194977 before I attached it to the bulkhead and wired it up. Two filters each with lift pumps. Output can be routed to tank or engine. Best thing is the filter drains can have water bottle below them for draining.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 20:11   #25

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
That's a pretty nice setup. I like the spin-on filters myself since they tighten down on a good oring.

You could make a very similar setup for cheap using this dual head filter base

and a pair of 3/4-16 threaded filters like these

You just saved me a bit of money I can spend elsewhere on my boat.

Old 29-06-2019, 23:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnknopf View Post
I have 4 Racor 500 as I have two engines. the system uses one pump, two vacuum gauges four three way valves and two four way valves as it also does the generator. It polishes using the bottom most opening in the fuel tank. There is an additional valve hooked to a hose with a length of copper tubing on it to pull fuel through the filters from a Jerry can.
That’s exactly the sort of picture I wanted to see! Could you please tell me what the pipes around the edge are for? I.e. which of the ones that go out of shot are from tank, from jerry can, to engine 1, to engine 2, etc? Just so I fully understand.
Old 29-06-2019, 23:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat36Mahalo View Post
Here is my install.Attachment 194977 before I attached it to the bulkhead and wired it up. Two filters each with lift pumps. Output can be routed to tank or engine. Best thing is the filter drains can have water bottle below them for draining.
And exactly the same question to you please. Good picture — but I can only see the fuel pump going to one filter, not the other. Where does the fuel flow on your system?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:00   #28

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Here's mine. 2 Shelco SS filter housings (first 10 micron->Pump->2nd 5 micron), Carter P4070 pump. Various valves to either direct fuel back to tank or as an alternative I can bypass stock Racor 500 and push 5 micron fuel to engine in case I get a clogged filter.

In reality I never get a clogged filter or even a dirty one. I change it every fall regardless out of habit. My system is really a polishing setup with added redundancy to act as a separate fuel delivery system should I lose the Facet lift pump or get a clogged filter.

I bought the Shelcos for $14/ea on ebay brand new. The filters I buy from McMaster for $5/ea and they are enormous.

If I were to do it all over again, I would probably get smaller filter housings, mine are 10" tall. Or if I couldn't find those I'd get a pair of filter bases and run commercial screw on filters.

The one thing I don't like about mine is that the gasket is a little fussy to get just right and when you open it, you also need to prime it by pouring fuel into the housings. I could probably replumb the pump to do that but until the first filter is full it won't prime. Not a big deal really since I only change filters 1/yr and my system runs when engine is running.

Other than that I love. Always have clean fuel, Racor bowl is spotless.

I also put in a separate fuel pickup tube that goes all the way to bottom of tank corner which I found is key. Before I did this, the polisher pump was way stronger than Facet and it would starve the engine. They share a common return though.
This is quite far up the stream, but we have essentially the same system of Shelcos. Here's the story and some links:

We had installed a fuel polisher in our initial refit (immediately before
our wreck); the tank was about half empty and had experienced in the range
(based on the storm duration and the period of waves) 3-5000 impacts. Ran
the polisher in the first yard, changed the filter, ran it again on the
rock-and-roll trip back to the original yard, changed the filter, and have
yet, 3000 hours later, to change a Racor.

If you'd like to see our fuel polisher, all parts from McMaster-Carr, click
here (with apologies for lots of other pix intermixed:
Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Flying_Pig_Has_Flown-Splash_and_More_Work/Getting_Close-Nov06
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:34   #29

The previous owner/builder of our boat installed a dual Racor filter system (photo attached--apologies for the low resolution). It has valving to allow for the filters to be changed individually. It is simple and does not involve a lot of fittings. I like the idea of the vacuum gauge that some here have mentioned. The way everything is situated in our boat, there is no separate lift pump to our Volvo Penta 2002. The fuel tank is immediately to the side and above the engine, so there's not a lot of line to prime and not a lot of friction to overcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3438s.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	195553  
jwoytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58   #30

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:

(clip)

My apologies - but I wonder if you have the PNs for both the housing and filters?

Mine are T-handle where yours are bolts, it appears, mine are 30 and 10 micron, and mine have a petcock on the bottom in place of a bung, but otherwise alike; I frequently refer folks to the polisher and dual racor solution, but don't have the PNs to tell them what to buy...

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, lease