Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 02:07   #1

Boat: Malo 39
PITA air in fuel line problem

I have a Yanmar 4JH3BE fitted with a Separ fuel filter above engine and fuel tank height. standard on engine fuel filter. When motoring the engine has (so far ) never stopped because of air entrainment. However when left over night, in the morning the engine will not start because of air in the system. Closing the fuel valve and opening the top of the Separ filter housing, as you would to change a filter, the fuel level is low and due to air is below the level of the outlet pipe at the top that leads to the on engine fuel filter. When filled with diesel and bled well the engine starts.

I have changed to rubber gasket sealing the top of the fuel filter. Tightened all connections, ensure the bleed values are properly tighter. All with no result.
There is no evidence of a fuel leaking out.

Please, any ideas.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 02:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: PITA air in fuel line problem

Martin,

It's definitely sucking air. I had that happen to me. Replacing the hoses & clamps resolved the problem. Those pesky slow air leaks are frustrating. For troubleshooting, you may need to bypass the Separ filter to determine if it is the culprit. Good Luck.

Michael
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 15:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
Martin,

It's definitely sucking air. I had that happen to me. Replacing the hoses & clamps resolved the problem. Those pesky slow air leaks are frustrating. For troubleshooting, you may need to bypass the Separ filter to determine if it is the culprit. Good Luck.

Michael

What he said,
You could try pressurising it a little bit, vaccuum leaks are hard to find sometimes. If you are getting air in it as described the filter is defintely the culprit.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 15:38   #4

Are you sure your tank vent(s) isn't clogged? It creates a vacuum in the system which may then create the problem after you stop. It may be nearly clogged allowing just enough to continue running. I had tiny bees build a mini nest in the outlets on one boat.

Other than that you could try installing an electric fuel pump before the filters to boost the system , It's handy to have anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 21:27   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have found hard to find fuel leaks by pressurizing the fuel line and listen for the leak.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 08:39   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Or, if your hearing is anywhere near as bad as mine, spray with a liquid soap solution and look for bubbles.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:37   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

I had a similar problem years ago with a Volvo MD 11. It turned out that they’d used ALUMINUM crush washers around the fuel fitting and bolts. Apparently these would corrode and develop tiny, tiny leaks. You couldn’t see anything because the washers were hidden. Replacing them with copper crush washers solved the problem.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 20:30   #8

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

I thread seal all the fittings. Make sure hoses are sound. Quality clamps.

Tissue test has helped me find leaks. I use mmo in my fuel so showed up bright bright red. If you have a sharp ear you can pressurize and listen as suggested, that can be a tough one depending on environment
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:07   #9

Boat: Malo 39

Latest on this that may help others. I replace all fuel hoses. The old ones were 20 years and were A2 spec to the old ISO 1999 standard. Changed to A1 to ISO 2013 which have much lower porosity. Used good clamps, I like ABA brand. Also replaced the seals on the top of the Separ filter. I can’t be 100 percent sure this is fixed as it was taking 9 days for enough air to accumulate.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:50   #10

Boat: None

It is possible, when a fuel tank is installed lower than the engine, to have fuel drain out of the fuel return line and into the tank over long periods. This can allow air to migrate backwards into the fuel system.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:37   #11

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 37 2016

And don't forget the copper crush washer on the fuel bleed -anneal it or replace with new to be sure.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel