Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 09:12   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Please read all small OB engine owners

In the process of getting my Honda 2hp running again. Stabilizer helps a bit but still need to occasionally clean the carb. I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and its the bee's knees. It has a built in heating element that raises the temp of the cleaning solution to around 160 F.

For the carb I use a mix of Simple Green and water and then blow it out with a small air compressor. I also picked up a jug of a rust removal solution called Evapo-Rust. Fifteen to twenty minutes in the ultrasonic and my rusty tools look like new. I love it and the $80 USD that I paid for the ultrasonic has more than paid for itself between the tools and the carb cleaning.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 09:21   #17

I just use regular gas for my merc 2 stroke. I run it dry in the fall, top up the container with the left over gas from previous summer in it next spring. It'll start in 3 pulls guaranteed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 09:32   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The two stroke outboard on my tender required a carburettor removal and cleaning about every 3-4 months. (The jets are tiny, the fuel in out of the way places is poor and it's used most days). A year ago I installed a larger and presumably finer fuel filter in line and so far 12 months without a carb clean
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 09:59   #19

I like the idea of buying your own ultrasonic cleaning equipment - good advice, thanks. I also have a Honda 2hp. Even though I only use non-ethanol fuel, those tiny jets clog very easily, and are hard to clean with the usual methods (disassembly, carb cleaner, compressed air, etc.).

The last time I took it to the Honda dealer for ultrasonic carb cleaning, the bill was $105. After I paid the bill, I found a new, replacement carb online for $68 - almost makes it a disposable part...
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 19:42   #20
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissailorman View Post
Hi guys...new to this forum but I'd like to share my experience with small outboards... I sail a 22, and have used several outboards over the years. Recently I found the key to keeping those little beasts tame and reliable. First of course is a good tune up. Thereafter, I use only premium gasoline to which I add gasoline stabilizer/ethanol gas treatment. I use Valvtect, then, and I THINK THIS IS THE KEY....I always run my carburetor dry at the end of the day. This prevents any buildup of deposits that clog those tiny jets. If you know you will sail again within 2-3 days, running dry is not necessary. Since I have followed this procedure, I have always started my engine with 1 or 2 pulls. This works with two or four stroke motors. Currently running a 2005, Mercury 6 hp. Annual maintenance is a must. Happy sailing!
Very good post thanks
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 22:32   #21

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Please read all small OB engine owners

Like Hopcar, I got rid of my 4stroke4hp gas engine and bought a Lehr 5hp powered by propane. There is a slight learning curve but now two pulls and it is running. No more ethanol or non ethanol gas for me!
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, lease