Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 08:43   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Prepping Diesel Engine for Winter Storage

Hi -
Please direct me to a link if this has been covered (I searched, but wasn't finding anything.) I am putting up my O'Day 35 sloop on the hard for the winter in Boston, MA. Do I need to put any additive in the fuel? I have another sailboat in FL that stays in the water year-round; when I leave that for hurricane season, I put biocide in the tank. Do I need to put biocide in my tank for the boat in Boston? Can stuff grow in the cold? Or is a better option a sta-bil Winter that pulls moisture out of the fuel keeping it from freezing as well as reducing water that microorganisms can feed on? I am admittedly not an engine person, so forgive me if my question is basic or obvious to you experts! Any help or recommendations for an additive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:55   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Prepping Diesel Engine for Winter Storage

On the great lakes we don't generally put biocide in our diesel but over the winter we do put in a stabilizer and fill the tanks for the winter. Your engine will definitely need to be winterized though. Before you haul get the engine good and warm and do an oil change. Then, if your engine is a modern one with a heat exchanger, the process is pretty simple ( but you will want to findout this first) . Once hauled out I drain the waterlock ( usually there is a drain for this) then fill a 5 gallon bucket with -100c RV antfreeze and put the hose that goes to the raw water pump into it. Start the engine and watch the exhaust outlet until it start pumping out the rv antfreeze. Shut the engine down and you're done.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, storage