Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 13:20   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Primer bulb to bleed Yanmar 2GM20F

The primer lever on my Yanmar 2GM20F does not work. I was told (somewhere) that you could put a primer bulb on the line between the Racor Filter and the engine and use that to bleed the engine. Seems reasonable to me. Anyone tried it or seen it done?
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 13:30   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Primer bulb to bleed Yanmar 2GM20F

I fitted one to my 2GM20 but put it between the fuel tank and the Racor. It works well but I suggest you buy the best quality bulb as some of them don't like diesel and rupture - making things way worse...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 15:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I fitted them to my 3GM30F engines and they worked OK. But although they are still fitted I found an easier solution.

I use my vacuum oil changer with the tube sucking from the secondary fuel filter bleed valve. This works fine for filter changes and the engines start straight away without further priming. Maybe the bulb will be useful if I I ever need to work on the pump.
Old 21-12-2017, 15:34   #4

Yes, you can install one and it will work but...

They are not made to the same grade as proper engine room fuel hose. They are made to the above deck standards, for use in unconfined spaces. If you were to have a small fire in the engine room it would fail and put fuel on the flames. If you had a significant loss, your insurance company might have an issue.

Almost as cheap as a fuel squeeze bulb is a small electric fuel pump. And it is even easier to bleed the engine with a constant flow of fuel without needing one hand to pump it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 16:02   #5

The Hall of FAIL Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 16:50   #6

Boat: S2 9.1

I put and outboard engine priming bulb on my 2GMF about 6 years ago. I just put it right on top off the tank which sits under a settee.

Works really well and is easy to get at. If you need to change a filter or heaven forbid run out of fuel and have to add some you can have the air out of the line in just a couple of minutes. Really easy, I just open the little vent screw on top of the little engine mounted filter and pump until diesel comes out. I put a paper towel there to catch it.

I had someone here chastise me saying that a gas bulb would not stand up to diesel but from what I know of the two fuels I think it is the other way around. I do check it occasionally but think it is a great mod.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 08:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Are you sure that infernal little lever driven pump isn't working. Mine seems to do nothing or only has back pressure on the lever for a fraction of an inch of movement but does work. Have sworn at it a number of times not thinking it was pumping fuel but eventually the bubbles and the engine would run.

From what I hear, the bulbs work but can create their own problems as they often develop air leaks that will cause problems down the line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 10:01   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

bk & SJ--good posts.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 10:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Yup! Mainesail is my go to reference guy. Bulbs have no place below decks. For a few dollars more get a diesel lift pump and wire it to the ignition switch. Once you do that, you will wonder why you ever messed with a bulb. Makes bleeding all the way to the engine a no brainer.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 10:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Primer bulb to bleed Yanmar 2GM20F

Fit one on every boat I have owned.. great for priming and also great if one delivers a boat with fuel tank full of crap.. just rig up a return to your 15/25l can of clean fuel and your ready to go.
One of the things I buy for every delivery.. a fuel bulb and 3m of appropriate fuel hose..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 11:53   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Definitely wire in a 12 volt fuel pump.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 13:49   #12

Used a priming bulb for umpteen years and never an issue but what can I say, i guess some folks have problems with it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 14:12   #13

Boat: Bristol 32

So, that's the little lever pump on the Yanmar 2gmf, correct? If it doesn't work, hit the starter briefly and rotate the flywheel. I forget why, but it is possible to have it miss-aligned, somehow. Turning the engine slightly fixes the problem, and then it primes it up just fine. Ask me how I know! Of course, I wouldn't mind a little inline pump, but I can't say that I see the need.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 19:12   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
So, that's the little lever pump on the Yanmar 2gmf, correct? If it doesn't work, hit the starter briefly and rotate the flywheel. I forget why, but it is possible to have it miss-aligned, somehow. Turning the engine slightly fixes the problem, and then it primes it up just fine. Ask me how I know! Of course, I wouldn't mind a little inline pump, but I can't say that I see the need.
In case you want to remember

The cam that operates the "internal" lever on the pump might have stopped in a position that has that lever fully operated so that when you try to operate the "external" lever, it can't actuate the "internal" lever.

Turning the engine a little bit allows the cam to rotate to a position where it is no longer engaging the internal lever thus allows the external (hand) lever to do it's thing.

There is probably a more succinct way to explain it
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 22:02   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Yes, you can install one and it will work but...

They are not made to the same grade as proper engine room fuel hose. They are made to the above deck standards, for use in unconfined spaces. If you were to have a small fire in the engine room it would fail and put fuel on the flames. If you had a significant loss, your insurance company might have an issue.

Almost as cheap as a fuel squeeze bulb is a small electric fuel pump. And it is even easier to bleed the engine with a constant flow of fuel without needing one hand to pump it.
Be sure to add a switch.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, yanmar