Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 08:52   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Update: finally have them aboard!

Okay, time for an update... I finally found the exact same mounts and had them shipped to Panama.

While wrestling with bolts that won't bulge I noticed that the new mounts are corroding already. I hate that but guess I'm lucky I noticed before mounting them, so now we are painting them before installation.

We decided to use the Interlux BilgeKote because it's supposed to withstand anything an engine-room can throw at it.

On the bolts: I only sheared the head off one 1/2" bolt up 'till now. I will need to remove two huge alternators to get to the final two bolts.
The one that broke I failed to remove it with a bolt extractor. I gave up before breaking the extractor. I now tapped the hole I drilled into the 1/2" bolt for a 3/8" bolt as I do not currently like to spend too much time on this... we want to get out of here and anchor in paradise again! ;-)

more updates to follow,
cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:47   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For anyone who wants to check the markings on the rubber part of the Yanmar I.D. 300L mounts: I used my macro lens & ring flash for the photo below.

The 2nd photo is the mounts painted and ready for install.

In the mean time, I have removed two huge 210A alternators plus the engine mounted crash pump in order to get to the last two bolts. I am happy to report that both bolts cooperated and are out. So the end-result is that one out of eight sheared off.

Tomorrow we will start with cleaning up the mess and using ospho on the custom alternator brackets to stop corrosion there and prepare everything for install.

more updates will follow...

cheers,
Nick.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:59   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Thread drift, what kind of crash pump do you have?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 16:46   #19

Boat: Farr 46
Nick,
after the event, but for future reference and for others a very good supplier for replacement mounts are Polyflex in australia.
www.polyflex.com.au
there mounts are polyurethane rather than rubber, and they do a very nice trade in replacing Yanmar mounts, which are not of the quality you would expect for engines which otherwise have a very good reputation
Marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:22   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Thread drift, what kind of crash pump do you have?
It's a big Jabsco impeller pump, coupled via an electric/magnetic clutch. I think it is rated around 30,000 gph. I spend money on new impellers, hoses and belts, it's always in the way and I never used it apart for testing... but I keep maintaining it...

cheers,
Nick.
Old 01-03-2010, 19:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinheiro View Post
Nick,
after the event, but for future reference and for others a very good supplier for replacement mounts are Polyflex in australia.
www.polyflex.com.au
there mounts are polyurethane rather than rubber, and they do a very nice trade in replacing Yanmar mounts, which are not of the quality you would expect for engines which otherwise have a very good reputation
Hi Marinheiro,

The trouble is that different mounts means a lot of work on the engine beds because they have different spacing of the fasteners etc. I did look at the Aquadrive mounts (we have their CV-joints and thrust bearing already) but decided to stay with Yanmar for that reason. I do not understand the manufacturers that want to sell mounts but don't make them compatible with the original ones.

Now I have the Yanmar mounts again and from just looking at them it's clear that they are designed to cope with the thrust forces (fore & aft direction) that I never get because the thrust bearing takes care of that. For me it would actually be better to mount them sideways ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:25   #22

Boat: Farr 46
Nick (and for others),
the Polyflex guys are reasonably switched on - they make their replacement mounts to match all the hole centres, diameters and specs for Yanmar and other manufacturers.
The new mounts on my 4JH4 are showing signs of rust already and my yacht is not even back in the water yet. Either need to do as you are painting them, or maybe bite the bullet and replace them
Marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:10   #23

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
vetus do engine mounts for your engine
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
vetus do engine mounts for your engine
They all do but I spent a lot of time searching and never found one with the right dimensions on the web. I still didn't because polyflex doesn't list anything either.

I just checked Vetus and they do list specs but they don't have one that fits... so no, Vetus don't do them.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

project finished! ;-)

Finally finished and good result: all vibrations are gone!!
The gold-brownish stuff on bolts and nuts is the corrosion inhibitor. The 2nd photo shows the 3/8" bolt on the right that is tapped into the steel of the 1/2" bolt that had it's head sheared off.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43   #26

Boat: Cascade
Very nice job and documentation Nick!

Flipping back to your original post/pic you can see the difference in the sag of the rubber because of the weight on the mount.

S/
Old 01-04-2010, 13:06   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

comparisons:

and

The difference is obvious looking at the base plate and the vertical outsides of the upper part. I must admit that I never made any measurements but it looks like 2/3 to double the distance with the new mounts.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 01-04-2010, 15:29   #28

Boat: Cascade
Did you have to re align the shaft as well after this?
Old 01-04-2010, 15:39   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Did you have to re align the shaft as well after this?
No, not really because we have CV joints to a thrust bearing. If we wouldn't have had those, re-alignment would have been needed as they started sagging... which makes me wonder if that is related to these statements like replace mounts every 2 years or so.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
engine