Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 20:45   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I wouldn't want crap going to the lift pump and reckon cleaning the inlet filter is an annual inspection item.To each their own.
Most boats with inboards, have a primary and secondary fuel filter. Also, the fuel pick up is just not easily accessable in some fuel tank installations.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:09   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I don't remember ever seeing a diesel with a filter after the pump (unless it was a secondary)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I don't remember ever seeing a diesel with a filter after the pump (unless it was a secondary)
Volvo calls it a fine filter. There is no aux filter in the system. Just the screen.

CMD - I don't disagree. I didn't see Pete describe what setup he had.

If I had external Primary filters I would probably pull the screen off. On my setup the tank screen is the only thing protecting the lift pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	md2010.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	5400  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22   #19

If you have enough goop in the tank to clog the screen mesh you better put a racor with a see through bowl before your spin on filter.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 13:26   #20

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Turned into quite an interesting thread!

Dan, there are external filters. Throwing the thing away still makes me pause a bit, 'cuz otherwise that crap was going further downstream where it would be a much bigger problem I would guess... pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 13:58   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The screen in the tank will also prevent a gob of algae, or tank wall coating, or other large material from getting sucked into the pickup tube and completely blocking it.

In theory the screen should be more like a "sock" much the same way that you have a strum box over your bilge pump inlet. For exactly the same reason.

If it is just a dime-sized piece of wire grate in the inlet pipe...that's a sure sign the engineers were slaughtered and eaten by the accountants. Those same fine fellows who've brought on a global re..ergh, financial crisis.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 14:01   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Pete, Be prepared to replace filters frequently and by that I mean maybe even within hours until all of that gunk is gone. But maybe it is not that bad but expect the worst. A good idea is to have the tank cleaned and the fuel polished and some companies can do both at the same time. This is a maintenance project that should be done every 5 years anyway.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 14:03   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

If it is just a dime-sized piece of wire grate in the inlet pipe...that's a sure sign the engineers were slaughtered and eaten by the accountants. Those same fine fellows who've brought on a global re..ergh, financial crisis.
Lets not get into the financial crisis on a fuel line thread.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 14:16   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd say its the same problem, Chuck. Letting the money-men run the world, when they should be locked in the back and not let out except to empty the cedar bucket in the morning. Companies, businesses, should be run by folks who take pride in their work and the quality of it. Not folks who reverse engineer every last part trying to suck another buck out of it.

Don't tell me, you've never had something on a boat fail, and realize that literally for another nickel or dime, it could have been built better and prevented a much larger problem?

Would you buy a fire extinguisher that was made in China?[g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 16:29   #25

Quote:
Would you buy a fire extinguisher that was made in China?[g]
Yes! Melamine has excellent fire retardant properties.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:24   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
So there is no filter between the engine and the tank? I would have to say "NOT GOOD!!" A Racor spin on (at least) then to the lift pump and on to the engine filter and the injectors. A filter can be spun on and off even in some nasty weather. Not saying it would be pretty but doable. But no way you are going to be checking the pickup tube. The three bigest problems with a desiel is 1) fule 2) fule 3) fule. Bleeding the air will be the bigest pain but an electric fule pump plumed after the filter will pay for it's self the first time you're standing on your head out in the middle of the water some where needing to bleed the system. I broke down and installed a fillter boss and it is true love. Filter change while under way under power with no stopping. Lots of good ways to do the same thing with out the cash out lay, just takes a bit more work. That one I took the easy way out and let the wife get it for me as a present.
Old 08-10-2008, 18:34   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Just a quick question, have you used any bio fule? I hear it can really break loose the gunk on the tank sides. I had to have my tanks cleaned because of old fule and the black goop that was on the tank walls. It was driving me crazzzzy!
Old 08-10-2008, 19:02   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you have enough goop in the tank to clog the screen mesh you better put a racor with a see through bowl before your spin on filter.
Don't disagree depending on the setup, how much fuel you actually use and how often you clean your tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Turned into quite an interesting thread!
A bit of counter opinion always gets the thought processes going.

Quote:
The screen in the tank will also prevent a gob of algae, or tank wall coating, or other large material from getting sucked into the pickup tube and completely blocking it.

In theory the screen should be more like a "sock" much the same way that you have a strum box over your bilge pump inlet. For exactly the same reason.
I agree 100% - The pick up screen should be off the bottom and should have adequate area - maybe more than 10X the inlet pipe area - so that it can survive some debris.

It prompted a thought - Maybe a second pick up about 1/4 up the tank and a Y valve is a decent idea for back up. If the primary pickup gets plugged, go to the alternate...

Kinda like the old VW fuel system on my '59 bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa La O La View Post
So there is no filter between the engine and the tank? I would have to say "NOT GOOD!!" A Racor spin on (at least) then to the lift pump and on to the engine filter and the injectors. A filter can be spun on and off even in some nasty weather.

The engine is a safety device - when the chips are down and the tanks have been rolling back and forth for 12 hours and you hit start it is not the time to have a fuel clog.

A well thought out fuel system, fuel management system (fuel scrubber etc.) and fuel system maintenance plan is important.

Recognizing that some fuel tanks are so buried that maintaining them is way down the list of "wanna do" chores.

Regarding bleeding - we've had very good luck cracking off one of the injectors and hitting the starter. Fuel starts to bleed, she fires on one cylinder and we crank down the cracked injector.

It's worked about 6 times in a row so far and no pumping, and no guessing if there is fuel at the injectors.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:15   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
On the vessel (my avatar) we have high and low suction on tanks.

We also had this on most of the Tugs I have worked on.

Of course "day" tanks are nice also
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, yanmar