Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 20:09   #31
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Prop Coupler stuck onto Prop Shaft - HELP!!!

Unless you have an abnormally large flange or limited space most gear pullers available at any auto store for under $50 will do the job. Do not re-use the coupler, they are cheap and designed to be disposable. Make sure the face is machined squared to the shaft or you could have difficulty aligning. Get the shaft cold and the coupler as hot as you can handle to touch, will make things much easier for re-assembly.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 20:12   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
SUCCESS! Thanks to all for your comments! This coupler did NOT break free easily. Turns out CATALINA DIRECT sells a puller just for this job ($47) https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-...versal-diesel/

However, I made one at home. It worked better than the socket as wedge, because i think the socket I used might have been catching the slot-key, and not pushing the prop out cleanly. The single 1/2" bolt down the middle of my homemade "puller" was straight down the middle of the prop - and ultimately got the job done. Still needed a lot of heat and PB Blaster, but it finally broke free. I'm happy that I was able to salvage and clean the old coupler. Turns out there are clam-shell designed couplers, etc (and I was very close to trying to cut off just the existing coupler - but that would have opened another can of worms.).

Great news was that it made it easy to replace the stuffing box packing gland, which it clearly needed. The Catalina has such short spacing between the stuffing and the coupler, I'm not sure I could have replaced the packing gland without the whole thing taken apart!

All's well that ends well, I guess. This job was a nightmare.

Congrats on the successful decoupling.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:21   #33

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

AJA. Wouldn't cutting and replacing the prop create an even bigger and more complicated project? (I have freed the coupler - and can align it with the tranny where it was.) I realize in your circumstance time was vital - so getting back sailing was important. But I'm on the hard. And I only got into all of this JUST TO CHANGE THE DAMN STERN TUBE to STUFFING BOX HOSE. What I THOUGHT was a simple repair. Now I'm knee deep into what is perhaps the biggest job I've ever done on this old boat!

PS While I"m here, has anyone ever extended a stern tube? There is still enough to get one solid hose clamp on. But probably not two. At some time in the past, about an inch broke off. (which was inside the old hose, when I finally got it off.). I think I saw someone mention "digging out" with a dremel under the tube, to gain some more space?
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:18   #34

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

PPS. I love the story about finding the old A4 right on the dock as you coasted in under the power of momentum. (I'm rubbing my hand on the laptop screen now, to catch some of your amazing good luck!)
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 00:01   #35

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post

PS While I"m here, has anyone ever extended a stern tube? There is still enough to get one solid hose clamp on. But probably not two.
I “extended” mine, but from the other end. Built a little mini keel to solve a prop strut problem. But what you’re talking about is certainly doable. But a better point is to use T bolt clamps instead of double clamps.