Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Proper HP for a Boston Whaler

Boston Whalers... One of my favorites; I've had about ten of them! My most favorite was a 13' with a Johnrude 50 on the back (yes I know it was overpowered, but the grin factor was priceless).

Were I to make the attempt at making one an inboard, it would be jet drive. That said, the slow speed of most small Diesels rules out the use of a jet. I get the OP's desire to use Diesel, but it would never really have good performance; the power-to-weight ratio is just too low. As others have mentioned, the displacement hull speed of ANY Whaler is very slow.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:11   #17

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailuke View Post
I saw a youtube video of a man with an Atomic 4 30hp in a 14 footer and it only went around 8 knots.
Have to believe the guy in the video still had the sailboat prop on the engine. 30 HP with the torque of a diesel might not have the throttle response of a big 2 stroke, but should be able to scoot a 16 footer along at a pretty good clip with more prop. Except for the space it eats up and weight, I would think the combination would make a decent little cruiser.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 14:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
If you agree that powerboats generally have three modes of operation: displacement, semi-displacement, and planing, you would need three different levels of horsepower to achieve each mode.
A 16' Whaler is not a barge. They float and move along just fine. Here's how you simplify the problem. Not too much thinking needed. Add a 55+hp outboard. Start engine. Look at the Morse controls. Think about where you want to go, and how fast. Then use low, more, or full throttle. It's actually that simple.

Inboard diesel engine?? "cough"

Anyway, since post #4 it appears that Luke went sailing. Or maybe he's out shopping for an outboard. Good thing.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 14:48   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

A run around will require 15hp per tonne to plane, but we are talking 15-20 knots which is hardly sparkling and a medium sized outboard will be alot more fun.

The resale value afterwards will of course be zip and the work required cutting out the deck and laminating in the engine beds etc, well I wouldn't do it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The resale value afterwards will of course be zip...
Good point. Whalers, in general, hold their resale value extremely well. Not if you butcher one in this way, though.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:36   #21

If you have come here looking for advise, here it is; don't. Just don't. You will ruin everything that is good about the 16 Whaler and get nothing in return. You will spend a lot of money, waste a lot of time, and go to a lot of trouble to create a boat completely useless for any purpose. And it will be worth absolutely nothing when you are done.
Sell the Whaler to someone who wants one for what it is. Then buy the boat you really want and need for your use.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 00:32   #22

Boat: 32' ericson. 1976

Dont do it...... Better yet surround yourself in an electric fence, wait for wind to pick up then pee as hard and long as possible.... This way youll of done less harm to the world than repower the whaler
nolfi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope