Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 19:31   #16

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Pss shaft seal occasionally leaking

To add to the already good information note that if you have a water cooled unit with a hose comeing from the motor there are occasions where pressure may be too much for bellows particularly at high rpm in larger motors. Some people including myself had to decrease pressure with a restriction in hose valve or other. It does not take much water to cool unit.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 19:39   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
You might just need to "burp" the seal (google it) and give the face a quick wipe clean at the same time. . . .
It is not uncommon over time that salt crystals build up between the seal and the rotor face. Also a small particle of dirt or debris from the sea can work its way up the cutlass bearing and lodge between the rotor face and seal.

Burb'ing the seal which is merely compressing the bellow and letting some sea water wash over the rotor face to get rid of any dirt or debris can cure the problem. Next haul-out you can open up a space between the rotor and seal and see if there is any "crust" of sea salt or debris on the rotor face and then clean it off. Also you may find a "gouge" either across the seal face or the rotor face where a sharp, hard piece of debris has scarred either surface.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 14:05   #18

Boat: searching...
As promised a short update;

I talked as well with PSS, they gave me the measurement and stated that if I have no leak in low rpm nor when standing that the seals are OK. Which is the case. Checking the measurement, I was on the bad side, much to less pressure. I sliced the ss collar up as much I could, as it was ver hard, and it looks better now. I changed the screws, means I used the lower one on top. Amazingly the lower screws have been very lightly tensioned. I guess that was my problem. I tighten them strongly and used some locking fluid. Testing it at 1500 rpm in the marine shows no more leaks.

Next task is to replace screws and then for sure the whole thing as soon i haul out. i think the price difference between service kit and new PSS is not worth the hassle with such an important thing.

I would thank all of you, and as well PSS for the support (the tech even provided me with a phone number for further question). I will stick with PSS based on the support and the easy fix - and of course the dry bilge.

Thanks!
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 14:08   #19

Boat: Irwin 40

And then he sailed off into the sunset!

Gotta love a happy ending lol
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 17:48   #20

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Did pss recommend the locktite?
If not, I'd worry about what you did.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:09   #21

Boat: searching...
Re loctide: I learned, not from PSS, that you never should use any on the inner screw as you could glue the ss collar to the shaft. I used some light one very sparly on the outer screw. See no issue there...
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:42   #22

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Re loctide: I learned, not from PSS, that you never should use any on the inner screw as you could glue the ss collar to the shaft. I used some light one very sparly on the outer screw. See no issue there...
Cool, nothing personal, just looking out for eachother in case one misses something. Thats why we're here.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote