Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13   #1
KTP

Pulling 3HM35F out of 1989 PS34 sailboat

Hi all,

We have decided to remove the 28 year old Yanmar 3HM35F diesel engine from our 1989 Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat.

One thing I have learned on starting this process is you learn a lot about where things are on your engine as you begin to take things off to enable removing it. You also start to see things that are on the edge of failure, like some black speckled water coming out of the raw water cooling pump hose nipple when I removed that hose to drain the water (might mean the impeller is starting to disintegrate?) and there were other linkages and hoses which looked suspect.

Question: Does the engine fit through the cockpit engine access hatch without removing the transmission? Current plan is to use a 1 ton chain hoist connected to a 2 inch strap wrapped around the boom, with the main halyard tied to this point also to help support the boom and lift the engine+transmission straight up out of this hatchway. The boat has a dripless PSS rudder shaft seal so we will need to make sure that doesn't move forward and leak. We are doing this at our marina dock so obviously the boat is in the water.

I can't wait until the engine is out and I can fix the rudder stuffing in the bearing under the quadrant. That thing is inaccessible to a 6'7" sailor, especially with 2 of the bolts in the quadrant still stuck.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25   #2

Re: Pulling 3HM35F out of 1989 PS34 sailboat

Hello friend,
Yes the Yanmar will come out with the gearbox still attached. I have a 1988 PSC 34 also and just removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled my 3HM35F.
What are your plans for your old Yanmar?
Kmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

new owner big problem - Page 5 - SailNet Community

beginning with post No. 41 on this thread on the Pacific Seacraft Forum for pictures of my taking mine out and putting it back. We took it out thru the cockpit and put it back (for laughs) thru the cabin.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 19:50   #4
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmueller View Post
Hello friend,
Yes the Yanmar will come out with the gearbox still attached. I have a 1988 PSC 34 also and just removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled my 3HM35F.
What are your plans for your old Yanmar?
We could not get it out with the gearbox attached. We tried tilting it by hooking the chain hoist just to the front lift tab but no go. It turned out though that while tilted I was able to remove the front engine mount bracket and the 10 bolts and just pull off the transmission. It then went through quite easily.

Two of the motor mounts just disintegrated when taking it out. The engine side mount was fine but the rubber thing and the single bolt in it just crumbled. Taking the engine out has turned out to be fortunate because this was a failure waiting to happen. Also discovered the shifter cable was almost entirely broken from rubbing against something over the years.

Our plan for the engine is craigslist or something. It was working and seemed to be making full power with little or no smoke at 3000+ RPM but probably could use a rebuild. We are going to go electric because wow I can finally get to the RUDDER STUFFING BOX!!!! So much room in there with the engine gone!
Old 09-07-2018, 20:14   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Mine is tiller steered (from the factory) and thus no rudder shaft packing because the rudder shaft comes up to the seat level in the cockpit. That solves the rudder shaft packing access problem.

But while I fit into the area behind the engine nicely, it is still hard for a large person to get to the shaft coupling. Take a look at Engine Access - SailNet Community

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 20:20   #6

I have a friend at our yacht club who is looking for a motor for his project. Do you have a price in mind? Location?
Old 09-07-2018, 21:27   #7
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmueller View Post
I have a friend at our yacht club who is looking for a motor for his project. Do you have a price in mind? Location?
We are in Blaine, WA. No idea what a good deal would be on the motor but I would give someone a good deal. It would be pretty heavy to ship but maybe could be crated...
Old 10-07-2018, 10:50   #8

Can you call or email me? My guy at the club is very interested
Kevsailor@aol.com
Kevin Mueller
PSC 34

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat