Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 19:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 35
pulling engine in water

I was wondering if anyone has pulled their motor w boat in water and with a PSS shaft seal? I guess I would have to fabricate something to hold the shaft back to keep it sealed... Seems a bit risky- but wondering if anyone has experience doing this without sinking their boat-

Thanks
jpmcabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 04:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: pulling engine in water

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jpmcabe.

“...If removing the engine transmission for repair or if launching the boat without a transmission installed, then the shaft must be kept in place with a device that will secure the shaft with the PSS bellow in its normal "compressed mode".
Install the PSS ONLY with the boat out of the water ...”

https://www.shaftseal.com/pss-instal...tructions.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:00   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Yes, done it. Not a problem.

Trick is, as you guessed, to keep the drive shaft from moving forward.

But don't over think this. The boat is not going to sink in seconds if the shaft does move. The amount of water that comes through is certainly enough to sink a boat.... after maybe a day or two.

If you are REALLY worried, just dive on the boat and wrap some plastic bags around the cutless bearing.

But better still, don't worry.

More importantly, the REAL issue is returning the shaft to the original central position, since the PSS does not center the shaft in the tube, so it helps if you can fabricate a bracket that holds the shaft from moving laterally. More important, in my view, than holding it from leaking.

Matt
Old 19-06-2019, 06:03   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jpmcabe.

“...If removing the engine transmission for repair or if launching the boat without a transmission installed, then the shaft must be kept in place with a device that will secure the shaft with the PSS bellow in its normal "compressed mode".
Install the PSS ONLY with the boat out of the water ...”

https://www.shaftseal.com/pss-instal...tructions.html
Thanks GordMay, nothing but the facts as usual.

However, in this case, it should be noted that this is the kind of "idiot proof 101" level response from PSS, to make sure someone does not sink their boat.

Like I mentioned before, it would take ages for the leak to become a problem, the real issue is getting whole shebang lined up properly when the engine goes back in place.
Old 19-06-2019, 06:15   #5
KTP

Yes we pulled our 35HP Yanmar engine with the boat in the water dockside and we have a PSS seal. We simply unbolted the four bolts at the coupler flange on the motor transmission and then used a jack to push the motor back a couple of inches away from the flange/PSS seal. We then used tie-wraps through the bolt holes of the flange connected to the remaining prop shaft and PSS seal and a tie wrap around the back of the seal past the bellows. By threading the tie wraps that are running through the flange holes and leading them back through the rear tie wrap around the back of the PSS seal we were able to pull them tight and keep the seal compressed with no motor/transmission attached.

We then tried to pull the motor out without removing the transmission, which was stupid as it would not fit, so we carefully put it back down without hitting the PSS seal and unbolted the 10? bolts which allowed the transmission to easily come off (took 5 minutes total). Then the motor was super easy to pull up with a harbor freight chain hoist attached with padding and straps to our boom. We put a spare halyard on the boom at the attachment point of the hoist and used it to take some strain off of the boom. Swung the motor over to a dock cart and off she went.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:51   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

I replaced my engine while in the water and it has a PSS shaft seal. The bellows is compressed 3/4 of an inch for a 1-1/4 shaft so you have to have quite a bit of movement before water starts coming in. The boat sat for about five days like this. A couple of times during that time the shaft got moved enough to allow some water in so I used a wire to hold the shaft in place as a safety.

The amount of water that entered the boat was probably less than a quart (liter) while I was there scrubbing the engine beds and hull under the engine in prep for painting. It did not move on it's own I bumped it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 09:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

Yes, I've done this as well. No problem.
I fabricated a small 1/4" plywood disk that could be slipped between the transmission flange and the shaft flange. The disk had a couple light lines attached that were led aft to temporary eye screws placed in the engine beds; tension on the lines held the prop shaft in place while the engine and transmission was removed.
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 15:09   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

I did it with a Yanmar2GM and just used a lump of wood to jam the shaft back. Hardest part was getting the new motor of the trailer and into the dock trolley.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 17:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

I've done it with a standard stuffing box. Just disconnect the shaft coupling, back off the stuffing box, push the shaft back a ways and retorque the stuffing box.

Unfortunately "dripless" does not mean "sinkless," So sooner or later, when the little cooling water hose breaks off, you will spring a leak and maybe sink. I've seen it happen.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:57   #10

Boat: Bristol 35.5

I did a complete engine/transmission removal in the water. No problem. Set up a 2x4 system that kept the bellows compressed. When I was working in the area, painting, new hoses, etc., I removed the 2x4 and pss stayed sealed unless the shaft was hit and moved. Then it was a very manageable amount of water.
Old 21-06-2019, 08:14   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my removals x3 were with normal hahaha stuffing box. we secured tranny for install of 108, after removing 107 in san diego with lines and beams, removed tranny second time in mexico on anchor, and third time boatwas anchored for removal and was docked for the installation and the job was easier....but all was secured with lines and beams for support. changed motor mounts first time, and repaired transmission with r and r at dock in mazatlan.
we did not have issues with the shaft moving. alignment was done in water at anchor and at dock for these r and r sessions
yes while you all have been sailing i have been repairing and refitting in exotic locations. ..
the most entertaining part was watching 4 strong mexican fishermen hand lifting a 4-108 out of sailboat and pass it over water by hand into a panga.. oh yes.. was most enlightening and entertaining.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 06:48   #12

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We pulled our tranny last summer with the boat in the water AND replaced our PSS shaft seal at the same time. No issues at all. We used an experienced mechanic and diver.

One way to nicely seal the shaft log is to use beeswax from toilet seal rings. Even if you don't remove it all when done it won't damage anything.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water