Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 12:08   #1

Pulling the Engine

Hi,

I have a center cockpit sailboat with a perkins 4.236 that needs to come out. I can't pull in forward out of the engine room since the centerboard housing is there and is too high to slide the engine past it.

I have two options, cutting the cockpit floor or stripping the engine and try to man handle the block out the engine room door (have 1/2" on each side). The last option means that once the engine is rebuild I have to deal with a full assumbled block that is much heavier than without the head and other parts.

what would you do?
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: pulling the engine

Been there, done that...

Sounds like you've done the basics: i.e. measure everything very carefully. I'd even suggest going as far as making a dummy engine out of foam/cardboard/ply and checking to see if it will fit.

I did my measurements very carefully and ended up disassembling the Ford to take it out. To get the John Deere in I had to remove the heat exchanger and swing the alternator in against the engine block with a few other small adjustments.

Given the choice between assembling the engine inside the boat or cutting a bigger access I'd favour assembling inside the boat.

Have a chat with your mechanic. It may not be that difficult to bring in the pieces and assemble inside the boat. Engine's going to be in pieces anyway.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Ask about the feasibility of making the cutout section onto a removable watertight hatch. This is in case you ever have to do this again or for replacing a part that is not easy to reach otherwise.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:11   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I have a similar situation but have not had to deal with this yet. But on my previous boat I did remove as much as I could before pulling out. Head, starter, alternator. It will be much more manageable without that and easy to re-install in place later.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:14   #5

Boracay, The mechanic (Perkins dealer) wants to run the engine in his shop to make sure all is well before I take it so I will not take apart the engine after the rebuild. He (mechanic) doesn't know what will be better from the 2 chioces. He is the best mechanic here but doesn't want to get involved in pulling/putting the engine.

David, This is a good idea. Do you know of any wabsites that I can take a look at these hatches?
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't know of any websites specifically. Maybe take it over to a boatyard and ask the yard manager to take a look. Chances are good his engine mechanics and fiberglassers have done this or seen this on other boats that needed the same thing done. It might be worth the money for a little of their time and ideas.

It seems a crime to seal in an engine like this. All engines eventually need to be replaced.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:53   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Previous owner of my boat repowered, and it appears that much of the galley cabinetry was removed and replace to facilitate the engine removal. Had to be a tight fit, but there really isn't any evident damage from the engine being moved around the cabin.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:54   #8

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

We have a hatch over ours. Very convenient, but I suspect too difficult to retrofit. I would suggest cutting the cockpit sole (neatly) and then bolting and caulking it back in place when the new engine is in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1008333.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	34264   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1007931.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	34266  

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:58   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 419

I wouldn't bother with a hatch that you likely won't need for many years, nor would I rebuild a new new engine in place.

Just cut the floor out, pull and drop, then glass the cut out floor back in place, think of the amount of time you would save.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 14:31   #10

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

If access is poor, a hatch may be suitable. You never know when you will need to get at it again. These guys are used by fishermen and have a US dealer. Good engine access and saved mechanics time may save the cost of the hatch! I have no affiliation,etc.

Anchor Hatches
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:53   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Pulling the Engine

This thread reminds me of a couple of muscle cars from the 60's where the spark plugs could not be changed unless the engine was pulled, and pulling it meant taking the front end of the car and suspension apart.
Old 30-11-2011, 15:56   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

People that design and build boats should have to fix them.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 16:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingover View Post
Hi,

I have a center cockpit sailboat with a perkins 4.236 that needs to come out. I can't pull in forward out of the engine room since the centerboard housing is there and is too high to slide the engine past it.

I have two options, cutting the cockpit floor or stripping the engine and try to man handle the block out the engine room door (have 1/2" on each side). The last option means that once the engine is rebuild I have to deal with a full assumbled block that is much heavier than without the head and other parts.
what would you do?
You called it; piece, by piece.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:08   #14

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Put in the hatch, if you like your boat and intend to keep her. Very easy to work on an all assembled engine and no more thinking about it! I vote for an operable hatch.
An old salt.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred
Put in the hatch, if you like your boat and intend to keep her. Very easy to work on an all assembled engine and no more thinking about it! I vote for an operable hatch.
An old salt.
Tough choice but I agree on the hatch. My (albeit small) boat has a cockpit hatch. I don't open it much but it provides access to the engine and sail drive that is great. Also there is a platform for the battery bank behind the saildrive and this space has become very useful.

Just make sure you continue to measure once, twice, three times and make sure the hatch idea will work.

As an errant electron - you could go the disassemble route to get it out - it's gotta come out anyway, right? See how difficult that is and then do the hatch mod if required while the engine is getting done.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine