Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 07:17   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Question on Changing Oil

I just bought a 1996 Hunter with Yanmar engine and a Kohler genset

The genset is new in 2005 with 50 hours now and the engine is original with 700 hours. Oil was change was done on both in 2005. Owner has started both at least once of month and been out 5 times in 4 years.

Oil was new for genset 50 hours ago and engine oil changed 200 hours ago and both 4 years have passed.

Any advice on oil and filter change. Thanks James
Old 15-09-2009, 07:40   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Change oil at least once/yr reguardless of hours. Best time is before Winter Lay-up. Engine and genset manufaturers should have a rec re number of hours between changes.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:44   #3

Start with fresh oil and filters. Change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filters, then you can get into a schedule of your own.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:20   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Here is one for the experts. Our local Canadian P&S Squadron recently had a short hands-on session on mechanics, where two well qualified older gentlement took us back through the basics of diesel engines. One proposed changing the oil in the fall, but doing it again in the spring, as the cold weather we get up here would likely cause moisture to appear in the crankcase. Only when asked later, did the other older gentleman suggest this second change of oil may be wasteful; that the first run of the engine in the spring would boil off any moisture that might have formed in the crankcase.

Comments?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:35   #5

Start fresh. Try to change it about every 100-150 hours. Change before layup if you do. If you run your engine in the winter, run it in gear and get it to warm up good. You can turn everything in the boat on also so you work the alternator and systems..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:49   #6

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Oil change

I am in the Caribbean so there would be no layup. I appreciate your advice.
I will change it.. Thanks
Old 15-09-2009, 11:49   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
My genset instructions told me to run the genset at 75% load for the first 100 hrs to seat the rings and to change the oil after 50 hrs and every 100 hrs thereafter. I would go on line and get the specific instructions for your set.
General engine oil needs to be changed every 150 hrs. Not really, but more is better. Personally, I know nothing, but everyone tells me to give the diesel clean fuel, change the filters, change the oil, and keep it clean.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 22:02   #8

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Every 100 to 200 hours dependent on use, crankcase capacity, etc.
If you do not plan on using them for a while change the oil regardless of hours. There are all kinds of nasty things that build up in the oil during use (sulphur being one), moisture tends to combine with them during long periods of nonuse creating all sorts of corrosive byproducts. This is one of the reasons when you start the engine you never shut it down till it reaches operating temperature to drive the moisture out.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:32   #9

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Perkins Oil Change

I am about to do my first diesel oil change. Will buy a hand pump.
I have a Perkins 4-108 that has a Napa Gold 1806 oil filter. these any good?
How much oil does a Perkins 4-108 take with an oil change?
What are opinions on what oil to use?

Any and all comments welcomed.

Thanks
Old 30-09-2009, 12:38   #10

NAPA stuff is usually good quality . Delo 400 or Shell Rotella would be the oils of choice. Cant remember how much but probably about 6 qts. If possible warm the engine first, the oil pumps easier...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:23   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
4 years without oil change????

Change it out at winterization
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 15:40   #12

Wouldn't the correct thing to do be to read the manufacturer's manual and be guided by their recommendations regarding oil change interval and oil type?

I agree with the 2nd P&S guy, I would never leave dirty oil in an engine over the winter, and if there's any moisture in the fresh stuff in the spring a good warm up will evaporate it.

Now the big question, why do these engine marinizers insist on leaving the drain plug at the FRONT of an engine mounted on a 10 degree angle? There is at least a pint of dirty oil left in the sump after sucking it out. Ridiculous. If I ever have to pull the pan off the engine I will have the front drain welded up and a new one put in the rear of the pan where it should be.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 16:22   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Just impossible to change the lube oil TOO often. So if in doubt, change it rather sooner than later.

One advice I heard from a VP mechanic was - if the engine run regularly and hard - you can change oil less frequently than by the book, if the engine run less and at lighter loads - change more often than by the book. His explanation was - an engine run cold will not burn the fuel so completely as when run hot - thus more deposits in the oil, thus need for more frequent changes. Too me, makes sense.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just impossible to change the lube oil TOO often. So if in doubt, change it rather sooner than later.
INDEED !!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:27   #15

Perkins 4.99 -4.107 -4.108 are known for running # 1 B.E bearing when run on steep incline or with diluted or dirty oil , strongly suggest changing oil & filter at 100hrs max = cheapest alternative.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change