Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 11:27   #1

Boat: Alberg #0
Quick and dirty winterization technique?

I have a yammer 2gmf20. Can I just shut off the seacock and shut off the engine after it finishes spitting seawater out the exhaust or do I have to add pink antifreeze through it?

I live aboard, keep things warm and want to do some frostbite sailing this winter.

So is this a technique others use? I just thought of it and want to know if it's a bad idea.

Thanks,

Paul.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Quick and dirty winterization technique?

It really depends on how cold it gets there. I would worry about your fresh water system, that's a bit more difficult to winterize and your head. As far as the engine goes, seeing it's FW cooled all you have to do is close the seacock, stick the hose in a bucket of pink stuff and fire her up. When it comes out of the exhaust shut her down.
Old 27-11-2015, 05:33   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Does the water freeze around the boat? If not, then it's unlikely to freeze IN the boat.

If you do need a quick way to winterize, put a tee in the raw water intake and add a valve and a garden hose adapter. Close the thru-hull, open the new valve, and stick a short section of garden hose into a bucket of pink stuff.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:08   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
I have a yammer 2gmf20. Can I just shut off the seacock and shut off the engine after it finishes spitting seawater out the exhaust or do I have to add pink antifreeze through it?

I live aboard, keep things warm and want to do some frostbite sailing this winter.

So is this a technique others use? I just thought of it and want to know if it's a bad idea.

Thanks,

Paul.
Where on the Bay? Since there are big differences in salinity, even from harbor to harbor, it matters. Norfolk, probably OK. North of Annapolis, no way. In between... depends on the winter.

Are there others doing the same thing? What about work boats in the area? Local knowledge.
Old 27-11-2015, 07:51   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

Advice given to me by a Yanmar mechanic was that if you are not running your engine for a long period...then the salt water needs to be purged out (use the pink stuff) to minimize corrosion in the heat exchanger. His opinion of "a long time"...was a couple of months. He also was very convinced that the Yanmar bulletin declaring that ONLY use red antifreeze (not green or others) in the engine cooling loop was essential...he showed be that Yanmar pub too! If you are living aboard and keeping it warm inside, I'd guess you do not need to worry about freezing water lines(toilet, FW supply, or engine).
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 08:04   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:

YES, bad idea.

You have a great yanmar engine. Do you really want to risk it?
$10 for some pink stuff, and 10 minutes of your time.

Like others have said, put in the T (or Y) connector, so its an easy and quick job. The pink stuff is super cheap compared to ANY kind of engine trouble.

Treat your engine with loving kindness...buy it roses and smother it with kisses...because it will save your ass off a lee shore one day.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 08:21   #7

Depending on how the yanmar is configured, you might just be able to drain the heat exchangers and hoses, vs running pink stuff. I found my shop vac sucked the raw water out of the engine really well through the top of the strainer with my hand completing the vacuum seal. Likely leaves some water in the exhaust depending on your configuration.

Also just remembered, I pulled the impeller prior to running the shop vac. Not sure if you have to...
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:04   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 Owner's Ver.

I hope you guys are not promoting putting "pink stuff" (whatever that is...) straight overboard into the ocean..!!! It definitely does not sound like it's environmentally friendly, so I would be very careful about doing anything like that.
"If we all do a little, we can all do a lot!"
Mainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:43   #9

Boat: Sea Ray 420 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstay View Post
I hope you guys are not promoting putting "pink stuff" (whatever that is...) straight overboard into the ocean..!!! It definitely does not sound like it's environmentally friendly, so I would be very careful about doing anything like that.
"If we all do a little, we can all do a lot!"
The pink stuff is environmentally friendly. It's non toxic antifreeze you pit in your water tank.
Monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:54   #10

This applies to in-the-water, too:

Winterizing an Engine on the Hard (Thanks to Maine Sail) - NEVER connect a hose to your raw water pump inlet - NEVER!!!

Winterizing A Diesel Engine On The Hard | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:29   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monepit View Post
The pink stuff is environmentally friendly. It's non toxic antifreeze you pit in your water tank.
Wrong. Bad information based upon a popular urban legend perpetuate by the well meaning and the PG manufacturers.

EG and PG have equivalent marine toxicity (very low). Just ask the EPA, US Fish and Game, or any MSDS.

"Several toxicity studies have been performed using pure ethylene glycol and
propylene glycol. The results of these studies generally show that both ethylene glycol and
propylene glycol are similar in aquatic toxicity and are fairly nontoxic to the aquatic environment."

"Table 9-1 summarizes aquatic toxicity data from studies that directly compare
ethylene glycol and propylene glycol under the same or similar experimental conditions. In
general, the data show that ethylene glycol and propylene glycol exhibit aquatic toxicological
effects at concentrations within the same order of magnitude. Although EPA does not use such a
system, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Classification System for Acute Exposures defines
“relatively harmless” as any chemical with an LC
above 1,000 mg/L (3). The test results shown
in Table 9-1 indicate that ethylene glycol and propylene glycol may be classified as “relatively harmless,” as defined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

Think about it. Copper and zinc are lethal to fish at sub ppm levels, but much less toxic to people (zinc supplements are common). Dishwashing liquids can be lethal to shrimp at ppm levels. Is it is surprise that glycols are the reverse, only toxic to mamals?

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/wastete...rt_airport.pdf
Old 27-11-2015, 10:37   #12

If you are living aboard, you don't need to do anything.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:38   #13

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:

Thanks,

Paul.
With some pumps, running the engine with the seacock shut even briefly can cause vanes to break on your impeller. And youd never get all the water out anyways, once it no longer has water to pump, its not likely to build enough pressure to force what remains out of the system.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:50   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Does the water freeze around the boat? If not, then it's unlikely to freeze IN the boat.

If you do need a quick way to winterize, put a tee in the raw water intake and add a valve and a garden hose adapter. Close the thru-hull, open the new valve, and stick a short section of garden hose into a bucket of pink stuff.

Please listen to CaptTom-we live in the North-we know what works & does not damage the engine,potable water system,you or the environment.
Or-buy stock in small diesel engine co.s. Your choice.

What you need to know about RV Anti-Freeze - J&M Camper SalesJ&M Camper Sales

Note: half or more of the RV's in the world use this stuff-what does that tell you??
If you still think it may hurt you or the environment,use de-natured ethyl alky/100 proof vodka-not sure whether the critters will just get drunk or .....

We understand you southerners think we northerners are crazy to live up nawth-but remember-we figgerd out how to survive,keep our living qtrs. warm & dry, & our machinery running many gen. ago.

Cheers/ Len
Old 27-11-2015, 14:45   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

On both my previous 2GM20F and current 4JH2TE, I winterized the engine at haul-out when the boat is in the slings just before raising. With the engine still running I open the raw water strainer, close the intake valve (more or less at the same time, just so the valve is not shut while the engine is running).
As the engine draws out the remaining water in the strainer bowl, I pour in two gallons of pink "non-toxic" antifreeze, then shut down just as it runs out. By that time it has run through the heat exchanger and muffler.
One gallon would almost do it (IIRC it did for the 2GM), the second is cheap insurance. Antifreeze is much less expensive than a new engine.

This procedure worked well for me 9 years on the 2GM, 12 and counting on the 4JH2, wintering at 45 degrees North.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote