Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 18:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Racor 500 and Filter Replacement

Hi,

I have a Racor 500 filter on the boat now for almost 1.5 years. I also got the gauge that fits on top thinking it would alert me when to change filters. I am now showing symptoms of a filter that needs replacing yet the gauge is showing a normal indication. I do have a fresh twist on fuel filter on the engine so it's not that one causing the problem.

Do these gauges work well?, maybe because of the lower fuel flow it's inaccurate ?

How often do you replace the filters? It's got about 150 hours on it now.

Thanks for the help
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:48   #2

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Racor 500 and filter replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
Hi,

I have a Racor 500 filter on the boat now for almost 1.5 years. I also got the gauge that fits on top thinking it would alert me when to change filters. I am now showing symptoms of a filter that needs replacing yet the gauge is showing a normal indication. I do have a fresh twist on fuel filter on the engine so it's not that one causing the problem.

Do these gauges work well?, maybe because of the lower fuel flow it's inaccurate ?

How often do you replace the filters? It's got about 150 hours on it now.

Thanks for the help
You can see if the Racor needs changing just by looking at it. If it is pretty well blackened, then it may need to be. If it is not, then it definitely isn't. What micron are you using? If 10 - 30, then your OEM filter may be crudded up with what passed through the Racor. If a 2 micron and your symptoms are accurately indicating a clogged filter, then I would guess your OEM filter has been on for awhile.

And yes, the gauges do work, as long as you are sucking the fuel through the filter and not pushing it. Sometimes these are plumbed up wrong and if you're pushing the fuel, the gauge won't be accurate.

Tags
racor