Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Racor 500 Filter Issues

I vaguely remember an issue with the Racor 500 filter elements. Something about new filters in old filter housings and/or vice versa. I just pulled my filter and it's different than the filters the PO left with the boat. The used filter has an indentation in the bottom and there is a rubber bushing on the center shaft of the filter housing that fits into this filter indentation. The filters that came with the boat don't have this indentation. If I leave the rubber bushing in place with these filters, the top of the filter sits higher than the filter, with the indentation, that was installed. Haven't tried yet but looks like I could still get the lid on with the flat bottomed filters and the bushing in place with a little persuasion. I've looked at the Racor sight and googled 'Racor Filter problems' but nothing has come up specifically about the filter issue. I've got another NOS filter assembly that is the same as the one installed.

Questions are:
1. Do I leave this bushing in place with these flat bottom filters??
2. Is the filter that was installed with the indentation, the new style filter or the old??
3. Do I have the old or new filter style filter housing and/or how do I tell the difference other than this bushing.
4. If the bushing needs to be removed for use with these flat bottomed filters, do I need to hang on to it or is it included with the indented filters??

After sailing to Hawaii and over a 100 hours since last filter change, my diesel filter totally loaded up with crud. Put over a 100 hours on the engine since the last filter change. Looks like I'm going to be getting a lot of experience changing filters as the crud in th 40 year old fuel tank seems to have gotten stirred up on that little sail. The fuel in the fuel bowl had the consistency of pudding. Had to totally disassmble the filter to clean it as the depsits wouldn't flush out of the filter bowl. Yes, I am using BIOBOR. This is the first filter change that I've done myself. Had an issue with the engine and the diesel mechanic did the last and only change since I've owned the boat..
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Racor 500 filter issues

oh, it's more confusing than you can imagine.

There are two racor housings: the old and the new.

there are now 3 racor filter carts; the old, the old new, and the new new.

The old housing can take the old carts with no fuss. The old housing needs that round rubber donut to accept the old new carts. The New New carts will fit in the old housing without the donut.

I will post some pictures in a minute
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45   #3

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

If you mean the new element referred to in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ning-5712.html , most of them came with the rubber adapter in the beginning so that you can use them on the old style filter housings. Or you can use the flat type, which they stopped selling around then, without an adapter. I have an older housing, some adapters, and can use either kind. Don't know anything about the new-new.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45   #4

Pictured are 3 Racor 500 filter cartridges (aka 2010s). This shows the bottom of all 3. The darkest one is an original cartridge, and it will work in an old style FG500 or a new style FG500. There are not many of these left on the retail market, but you will still find them out there.

The one on the top left is what I call the Old New. This is the one that needs a donut to fit in an older style FG500 housing, but no donut for the new style housing. There are many of these still in retail stores, but Racor has stopped manufacturing them.

The one on the top right is the New New cartridge. It does not need a donut ever, and it will fit on both the old style housing and the new style housing.

Old 10-04-2011, 13:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mahalo for the information. Looks like the filters the PO left are the old style and don't use the donut. Will hang onto the donut just in case I have to use a new/old filter. Guess both my filter housings are the old style.

Interesting that my google/yahoo/bing search for 'Racor 500 filter problems' didn't turn up anything.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:06   #6

Actually, has anyone tried what I call the old old cartridge (aka Original Flavor) in a new style housing? I haven't ever tried to put one in a newer style housing, but I have been told they will fit? Any first hand knowledge ?
Old 10-04-2011, 13:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Pictured are 3 Racor 500 filter cartridges (aka 2010s). This shows the bottom of all 3. The darkest one is an original cartridge, and it will work in an old style FG500 or a new style FG500. There are not many of these left on the retail market, but you will still find them out there.

The one on the top left is what I call the Old New. This is the one that needs a donut to fit in an older style FG500 housing, but no donut for the new style housing. There are many of these still in retail stores, but Racor has stopped manufacturing them.

The one on the top right is the New New cartridge. It does not need a donut ever, and it will fit on both the old style housing and the new style housing.
Thanks for the photos makes it very clear.

Can anyone explain the difference between the old and the new housing. How do you tell?
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:15   #8

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Actually it is even more confusing. I have a Racor 500G S/S and have decided it does not need the rubber spacer with the 2010s that have the problem. If you bought them before 2008 they came with the rubber spacer. In the 500 series it seems there are 3 configurations. Two of the configurations do not need the spacer. The one that does has flat top surfaces on the lower is the only one that does. I have attached the instructions that came with the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137277183.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	25999  
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:34   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Thanks guys for an interesting and timely update. About to change multiple 500's, and this is very helpful.

Tags
racor