Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00   #1

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Racor Filter Size

I just went online to order some replacement filters for my Racor 500FG filter/water separator, and discovered I have a choice of 30, 10, or 2 micron filters.

I don't know what I've got now, but it seems like the 10 micron would be the best way to go. I'm assuming the engine filter will take care of the final filtration? Will a 10 Micron clog up a lot faster than a 30?

Any recommendations as to the number of spare filters I should have on hand in case I get some bad fuel?
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Racor filter size

Big debate over this....like what is the "best" anchor.

My opinion is to use the same size filter as the engine filter which is probably a 10 micron. The reason is that your primary fuel filter has more surface area and will take longer to clog than your engine fuel filter. It's usually easier to replace the Racor than the engine filter.

Only a handful of new engines are requiring 2 micron filters. Most newer diesels are requiring 10 micron filters.

Buy a couple extra filters. They do need to be changed out periodically as part of routine engine maintenance. You obviously don't want to run a filter until it clogs.

Some people say run a 30 and then a 10, but then you are committed to changing two filters on a periodic basis with no real need to have two different micron filters. Only if you have a bunch of crud in your fuel tank would you want to do this so you can increase the time between filter changes. If this is the case then you have a fuel problem that needs to be remedied other than by installing larger or more filters.

I have dual Racors on my boat, one pair for each engine. I think these are the best way of doing this. One turn of a valve and you have switched over to the other (new) filter. You don't even need to shut down the engine to do this. A vacuum gauge indicates just how clogged is the filter that you are running on.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Like DavidM, I hate changing my on engine filter. I just use a 10 micron Racor and almost never change the on engine filter. I would love the chance to supply your Racor elements: Racor Elements for 500 Series, 2010SM 2, 10, 30 Micron
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

I had a dual element Racor fuel filter/water sep unit and used a 30 micron in the first filter and then it went to a 10 micron one, then to the engine.
I changed the 30 2:1 to the 10.
Make sense?
The first filter would obviously clog way sooner (used the vacuum gauge to determine when to change) and it got changed twice as often as the 10. Worked pretty good in my opinion. If you have the room to do it that way it was really easy. The engine filter got changed about every 6-8 months with the fuel I was burning. It wasn't very dirty.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

10 micron is the best compromise for the primary fuel filter of most engines.

If you get a diesel bug problem fuel filters will clog very quickly. I have seen new filters clog and stop the engine in only 5 mins.

The best solution is to have oversized filters (I use Raycor 900 filters on a 54HP engine these will take something like 10X as long to clog as the 500 filters that are often used on this engine) and have lots ( half a dozen) spare. A duel filter system is helpful.

Have an alternative fuel source such as a jerry can that can be connected in an emergency.

Employ the best fuel practice:

Only buy from high turnover sources
Inspect the fuel before putting it into the tanks
Use a filter before putting it into the tanks
Polish the fuel
Use a biocide
Inspect and clean the tank if necessary

Many people skip some of the above steps and get away with it, but the more of these practices you employ the fewer will be your problems. There seems to be more fuel difficulties these days and it sad see a boat on the rocks due to fuel problems. I have seen too many already.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:12   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
...Employ the best fuel practice:

Only buy from high turnover sources
Inspect the fuel before putting it into the tanks
Use a filter before putting it into the tanks
Polish the fuel
Use a biocide
Inspect and clean the tank if necessary
+1 on all this stuff. It certainly pays BIG TIME to be very vigilent when purchasing fuel from unknown sources when outwater.
Old 05-09-2011, 14:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The following steps are necessary at least in out of the way places where I buy fuel.
Use a funnel with a fine filter, but siphon off some into a clear glass jar. Get someone to inspect the jar carefully it should be crystal clear and when allowed to sit there should be no water in the bottom.
I suggest if you have not seen water in fuel add water some to a jar full of diesel so you know what it looks like.
Keep filing while the fuel is inspected to avoid annoying other users (I always try to fill up at quiet times), but stop if the fuel is suspect.
Ignore the of the fuel vender who will claim their fuel is perfect and you are wasting your time.
If the fuel is good tell the vendor you are happy will buy from him again and recommend the fuel to your friends.

Turn on the polishing system. The tank has been stirred up and now is a good time to filter the fuel.

Seal the fuel port as well as possible. New O ring, silicon greece on the O ring. My fuel port is on deck so I seal them up with waterproof tape as a final barrier. My fuel capacity is over 1000L so I need to repeat these steps infrequently and can be picky where and when I buy fuel
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor