Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2023, 17:23   #16

Re: Raw water pump impeller sudden failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Could be the intake got temporarily blocked, plastic bag, jellyfish, etc stuck on the intake. Does the intake have a scoop shaped screen on the outside? It's counter intuitive but those should be installed with the scoop facing AFT, not forward. That way the boat's motion through the water will help slough an obstruction off the screen. Facing forward it's held in place.
Aft facing scoop will not work on a fast moving boat, as low pressure area develops behind it. The SCOOP design is intended to scoop water with forward motion.
It’s more frequently done on sailing vessels and auxiliary motors such as generators to avoid stuffing water up them when underway.
A scoop is most streamlined when facing forward, making it less likely to pick up damaging debris.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 06:47   #17

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

If it ran dry long enough and hot enough to destroy the impeller, small streaks of the melted impeller may be attached to the housing. This will result in a high friction point which will place additional stress on the new impeller resulting in a significantly shortened service life. The advice is to replace the pump.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:22   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

If you are going to continue to close the intake, do you turn off starting battery, close head intakes?

Create a laminated “Check-off” list for leaving the boat, and on the back of the card a “Check-on” list for when you arrive.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:29   #19

Boat: C&C 34+

Many years ago after rebuilds due to charter customers overheating a Yanmar , I installed a flow sensor on the raw water intake, can't recall the brand, but it has a fine flow adjustment. Connected it to the "water in saildrive" alarm circuit on the replacement Yanmar 3YM which was unused since the boat has a shaft drive. It issues an impossible to ignore alarm for any condition stopping raw water flow. Not very costly- highly recommend.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:40   #20

Boat: TJ34, previously owned: Willard 30, Willard 40

i installed a micro switch which gets closed when the seacock is opened. That switch operates a relay in series with my ignition. So the engine cannot be started unless the seacock is open. I installed it 40 years ago and never had a problem.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Aft facing scoop will not work on a fast moving boat, as low pressure area develops behind it. The SCOOP design is intended to scoop water with forward motion.
It’s more frequently done on sailing vessels and auxiliary motors such as generators to avoid stuffing water up them when underway.
A scoop is most streamlined when facing forward, making it less likely to pick up damaging debris.
It is not at all clear if you are making any kind of recommendation here, but on a sailboat a “scoop” on the drive engine should NEVER point forward. A flexible impeller pump is a positive displacement pump, but it does NOT guarantee a pressure tight seal. Water can trickle past it, and if it is damaged, water can flow past quite easily.

Having the boat sailing forward stuffing water into the scoop risks filling the engine with water. On generators, the scoop should NEVER face forward, on any boat, for the same reason. Even on twin engine motorboats, if the scoop faces forward, running on one engine is a serious risk to the idle engine.

I KNOW many boats have these installed incorrectly. The engines in all of them are all living on borrowed time. Someday, they will flood.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 08:51   #22

I fitted a brand new, shrink wrapped, raw water impeller. Ten days later I luckily spotted the engine temperature rising and checked the cooling circuit. Half the new impeller was trapped upstream of the oil cooler. Old stock I suppose.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 11:55   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
This is what the impeller looked like after an attempt to drag my boat off a grounding in the intracoastal. It resulted in me having to strip and clean out the whole of the raw water engine system, including two heat exchangers, and the heavy exhaust.
During the repair I installed a filter directly after the pump, which will now capture any bits of impeller or other debris.
The moral is: if you must use your engine to get off a grounding, inspect the impeller directly afterwards. Better still: kedge an anchor and pull her off - more difficult, but a darn-sight easier than stripping a Perkins 4.326, believe me!
A filter or strainer downstream from the water pump of some sort should be in the ABYC standards. It can seriously prevent a bad day or ten.
Old 24-02-2023, 11:57   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
i installed a micro switch which gets closed when the seacock is opened. That switch operates a relay in series with my ignition. So the engine cannot be started unless the seacock is open. I installed it 40 years ago and never had a problem.
That's smart sailorproofing. Much better than hanging the "key" from the seacock handle. Some of us, like me for example, don't have a start key.
Old 24-02-2023, 13:21   #25

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
If it ran dry long enough and hot enough to destroy the impeller, small streaks of the melted impeller may be attached to the housing. This will result in a high friction point which will place additional stress on the new impeller resulting in a significantly shortened service life. The advice is to replace the pump.
Really??? You would replace a multi-hundred dollar pump because of "small streaks of of melted rubber"? In the unlikely event of that happening it would be easy to clean with a scotchbrite pad.

BTW: Some Teflon grease will make impeller installation easier and extend it's life. It does not wash out.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 17:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
It is not at all clear if you are making any kind of recommendation here, but on a sailboat a “scoop” on the drive engine should NEVER point forward. A flexible impeller pump is a positive displacement pump, but it does NOT guarantee a pressure tight seal. Water can trickle past it, and if it is damaged, water can flow past quite easily.

Having the boat sailing forward stuffing water into the scoop risks filling the engine with water. On generators, the scoop should NEVER face forward, on any boat, for the same reason. Even on twin engine motorboats, if the scoop faces forward, running on one engine is a serious risk to the idle engine.

I KNOW many boats have these installed incorrectly. The engines in all of them are all living on borrowed time. Someday, they will flood.
Wow, this is news to me. Is this some type of aybc code or personally inspired? I've owned many sailboats with fwd facing scoops and never a problem. It seems after 50+ yrs and 1000s of cruising hrs it would have reared its ugly head with at least one of my boats. Can't remember seeing a sailboat with the scoop facing aft. If a fwd facing scoop fills the engine its a pixx poor exhaust design.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 19:30   #27

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

I remove the impellor for the winter then coat with "SuperLube" when re-installing in the spring. I also have a small strainer (with a see-thru bowl) between the pump & the heat xchanger.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 00:23   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
Yes!! I greatly appreciated your remark here, as I had my seacocks closed once when I set out, having forgotten to open them. I felt like such an idiot, I'm heartened to hear I'm not alone making this mistake. The result was I saw my engine temp gauge climbing, and considering not trusting my instruments, I ignored it. I finally decided to open the engine hatch and whoosh! Big plumes of steam! Aigh!!! I quickly jumped down and opened the seacocks on the raw water intake when I saw they were still closed, and kept the engines running, thinking this may ensure the now flowing raw water may help cool the engines (that did), and I returned to my silp. The result was the impeller had disintegrated into tiny bits and got lodged in the system, resulting in a costly repair by my diesel mechanic. My point here is that I now use Google Keep notes for a departure checklist for everything, from checking coolant to pfd to vhf on to Seacocks open! You can use the list with checkboxes beside each, and then reset it to untick the boxes and reuse the list. Highly recommend, and I don't have to think if I did everything, I just follow the checklist every time. Screenshot s of my departure checklist attached. Hope this helps someone in the future.

++ As soon as you start engine,look over the side & make sure water is coming out the exhaust
Old 28-02-2023, 14:23   #29

Those vintage bronze gear water pumps with grease cap on top were great. Never a worry about rubber impellers. I had them on gas and diesel sailboat engines in the past. When they got worn and wouldn't prime all you had to do is turn the grease cap a quarter turn and you were good to go.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 19:46   #30

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
Those vintage bronze gear water pumps with grease cap on top were great. Never a worry about rubber impellers. I had them on gas and diesel sailboat engines in the past. When they got worn and wouldn't prime all you had to do is turn the grease cap a quarter turn and you were good to go.
Interesting idea. Just did a google search on grease cups. Pricey little devils.

An alternate idea would be to use a stainless steel grease nipple and occasionally pump a little grease in. Downside is that you would have to remove the pump to drill and tap for the nipple. Maybe on the next rebuild. In my case probably coming up soon.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump