Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 18:02   #1

Boat: Islander 34
Raw Water Pump Replacement

hey folks,

I have managed to destroy my water pump">raw water pump on my Yanmar 3HM - apparently when the right combination of impeller blades go south, the pin in the center of the impeller can shake out and rub against the side of the impeller housing, scoring a deep groove into it.

I called the local yanmar dealership, but they want $675 for a new pump!?!

The pump is a Johnson, type F4B-902, or 10-24509-02. I found a site selling the same pump online for $275, but even then that's a lot of money for my budget!!

Is there a way to replace the pump with an equivalent Jabsco or something? What's the best way, or best place to find a replacement pump?
Old 16-05-2011, 18:12   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: raw water pump replacement

drew23,

The $275 is not bad.
I tryed rebuilding the raw water pump on my Yanmar 40 hp 3Jh3E and just the parts where $150 and the new pump cost $250 at the time. I went with the new pump.
I would go with it.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:39   #3

I used to rebuild failed pumps. I found that it is sometimes cheaper to pay more for a new pump than to replace parts in the old one. The repair costs are always lower than a new pump, but the longevity relative to the cost savings is even shorter, resulting in a higher cost per service hour. In addition, failures of such an important part can mean huge inconvenience with an untimely failure.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:54   #4

I had heard that it was probably better to just buy a new pump than to rebuild the current one, so knowing that the rebuild kit was around $150 I steeled myself for a $250 sticker when I called the local Yanmar parts place.

When they quoted me $675 I decided to look elsewhere... and that's why I'm asking here. Am I stuck getting the $275 one from the internet, or should I try to find a used one locally, or can I swap in a similar-but-cheaper pump that maybe you know of...?
Old 16-05-2011, 19:59   #5

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

I doubt you'd have much luck getting a different pump, along with custom brackets made to retrofit a different style of pump, for less than the $275 a new one will cost you.

If you have the machining skills (and access to the lathe/mill) to resurface the chamber of the old pump, that's a possibility- but, again, paying someone to do it would probably not be much (if any) cheaper than a new one.

Pumps are among those products for which there is a reasonably competitive OEM market, and anything of comparable quality will likely be of comparable price. (To what the online shops are asking, of course- one raw water pump is not worth one-fifth of a fully functional, safety certified used car, although the dealer apparently wants to convince you otherwise.) So hunt around, by all means try to find something compatible on the used market, but don't be surprised if you can't get the price down as far as you'd like.
Old 16-05-2011, 19:59   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Try Depco

Depco Pump Company
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 20:04   #7
TEE

Just had to replace one on a Westerbeke generator. Five hundred bucks. Looks like Yanmar thinks pretty highly of their pumps. Are they made of gold?
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 20:48   #8

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa

It depends how badly you scored the housing, machining it may be costly. However, if you get the gouge repaired and decide to rebuild, the bearings are standard and can be purchased at a bearing shop for a fraction of the kit cost. I rebuild my pump and got all of the bearings and seal for less that one bear through a marine supply. Take the old ones with you and they'll match the numbers. I had this exact thing happen to me years ago in the Bahamas and was able to get home ( and run it much longer than I should ) by using marinetec and sandpaper to repair the groove.
Steve k
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 21:32   #9

*sigh*. stuck, I guess.

I just ordered the replacement pump from the online store, $310 total after shipping... well, total until we see how much customs decides to tack onto that, anyway. :/
Old 16-05-2011, 21:39   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

You're better off with a new pump. Hopefully, it's been upgraded to the spline shaft vs the pin drive.

And $300 is a good deal for a Yanny replacement.
Old 13-07-2011, 19:32   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Raw Water Pump Replacement

I'm buying a new Oberdorfer pump for my Universal M25-XP and I am wondering if I can sent the old one somewhere to be rebuilt (keepong it as a spare). The only problem is it just leaks - drip drip from the rear though, so that's too close to the block for my taste. Is the old pump so much bronze trash? A rebuild kit is about $160.00 from Depco. I'd rather not do a rebuild myself, I simply don't have a workspace to do a good job of it, and for 60 bucks more I get a new pump, with the shaft etc.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 20:56   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

$60 bucks is just a tank of gas these days. Just buy an extra new pump.
Old 14-07-2011, 04:58   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
$60 bucks is just a tank of gas these days. Just buy an extra new pump.
Even better I'll keep the leaky one as a spare and pay nothing. I am never more than one hour from shore and I have towboat.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 06:22   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
*sigh*. stuck, I guess.

I just ordered the replacement pump from the online store, $310 total after shipping... well, total until we see how much customs decides to tack onto that, anyway. :/
Do yourself a favor. In future replace the impellor at the earlier of 12 months or 100 hours and, on the Johnson pump, the shaft seal at every other impellor change. Many of the impellor kits for the johnson pumps now automatically include the shaft seals. They are easily changed and you will have a happier, healthier pump for the exercise.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 06:24   #15

What's your engine worth??????????

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, water