Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 14:36   #1

Raw Water System Flush...?

Has anyone used a cooling system maintenance service? I am considering getting the process done on my 20-year-old boat. The general idea is that organisms, growth, barnacles, etc. grow and build up in the raw water system and interfere with the efficiency of the engine cooling system. I don't know much about the process but understand it uses a bore scope to view and assess the internal build-up in the heat exchangers, after coolers, trans coolers, oil coolers, fuel coolers, raw water hoses, and so on. If extensive build-up, a flush solution and pressure system are used to clean out. Is this a legitimate and necessary service for our boats? I've never heard much about it or talked to people who have had it done.
Paradise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:23   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Raw Water System Flush...?

I did it myself a couple times. Sort of...

My basic process was temporarily re-purposing input and output hoses to create a recirculating system... then using a transfer pump to inject solution... capture and re-inject solution... continue for a couple hours.

I used RydLyme once, Barnacle Buster once (and usually use Barnacle Buster to periodically flush our AC raw water lines, too).

In our case for main engines and genset, solution entered via hose from a bucket to the water pump">raw water pump input fitting (impeller removed), travelled through aftercooler (mains, water side), gear oil coolers (mains), heat exchanger, etc... back to the bucket where sediment could settle. Eventually solution comes out clear, done.

For us, this was merely temporary service... in no way meant to replace periodic aftercooler and heat exchanger service laid out by the engine manufacturer. Partly because the aftercoolers needed the air side cleaned, too.

Your engine may not be as complicated...

And were it me, with a new-to-me 20-year-old engine, I'd probably have the process done by removing and cleaning the bolt-ons (e.g., heat exchanger), replacing all the hoses, etc. It'd be a useful time to flush the coolant system, check starter and alternator, etc etc etc.

Then occasionally I'd do the recirculate treatment myself afterwards.

-Chris
Old 04-05-2023, 05:56   #3

Boat: Hunter 38

I take a 5 gallon bucket, a small bilge pump, and some hoses. I make up 2-3 gallons of barnacle buster and let it circulate for a few hours.

You could do it strictly at the heat exchanger by removing the inlet and outlet, or you could make the input closer to the through hull. In my boat not worth it as (from my understanding and from limited experience) the growth doesn't occur on rubber hoses.

If you run it through your raw water pump you'll need to remove the impeller first.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise1 View Post
Has anyone used a cooling system maintenance service? I am considering getting the process done on my 20-year-old boat. The general idea is that organisms, growth, barnacles, etc. grow and build up in the raw water system and interfere with the efficiency of the engine cooling system. I don't know much about the process but understand it uses a bore scope to view and assess the internal build-up in the heat exchangers, after coolers, trans coolers, oil coolers, fuel coolers, raw water hoses, and so on. If extensive build-up, a flush solution and pressure system are used to clean out. Is this a legitimate and necessary service for our boats? I've never heard much about it or talked to people who have had it done.
what is your engine. in charter fleet every 5 year we removing on dry all parts and have bath with citrus acid overnight. every 2-3 year also clean inside engine .warm engine spill inside chemical for radiator cleaner (by your engine ask manufacture factory) usually aluminium block is AL safe must use. use outside circulation pump in one pass clean hot water boiler and inside engine. removing chemical clean with water,remove water lot water,protect adequate glycol (for engine ask manufacture green-yelow or other color) clean and exschange in heat exchange sistem what needed. test under couple bar of air.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:56   #5

Boat: TP52

I've used Starbrite motor flush on several Yanmars. 3GM, 2GM, 4JH

Descaling Motor Flush

5 gallon bucket, a cheap water fountain pump, and some various vinyl tubing and adapters to connect everything

Take the thermostat and impeller out and hook everything together with hose to form one loop then let it run for a while
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 13:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScott View Post
I've used Starbrite motor flush on several Yanmars. 3GM, 2GM, 4JH

Descaling Motor Flush

5 gallon bucket, a cheap water fountain pump, and some various vinyl tubing and adapters to connect everything

Take the thermostat and impeller out and hook everything together with hose to form one loop then let it run for a while
to expensive
5-10% Sulfamic acid + warm water

https://mistralni.co.uk/products/sulphamic-acid
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 14:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
what is your engine. in charter fleet every 5 year we removing on dry all parts and have bath with citrus acid overnight. every 2-3 year also clean inside engine .warm engine spill inside chemical for radiator cleaner (by your engine ask manufacture factory) usually aluminium block is AL safe must use. use outside circulation pump in one pass clean hot water boiler and inside engine. removing chemical clean with water,remove water lot water,protect adequate glycol (for engine ask manufacture green-yelow or other color) clean and exschange in heat exchange sistem what needed. test under couple bar of air.
The engines are MTU 825 hp.
Paradise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:08   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Your engine may not be as complicated...

And were it me, with a new-to-me 20-year-old engine, I'd probably have the process done by removing and cleaning the bolt-ons (e.g., heat exchanger), replacing all the hoses, etc. It'd be a useful time to flush the coolant system, check starter and alternator, etc etc etc.

Then occasionally I'd do the recirculate treatment myself afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise1 View Post
The engines are MTU 825 hp.

Series 60? In that case, I'd definitely start out with a professional rehab. Unless done recently, all new hoses, etc. 1000 hour service (or whatever period MTU recommends), bring everything up to current per their "service calendar."

And while you're at it, have your MTU guy (get your own dedicated MTU guy) walk you through everything on the engines.

If you haven't already found it, a subscription to boatdiesel.com will be helpful.

And then you could do periodic flushing yourself, once you've got your basic service regime squared away.

-Chris

Tags
raw water, water