Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 21:03   #1

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
re-engine

My customer owns a Columbia 36, with a Atomic 4, and wishes to convert to Diesel, were looking at a Universal M25XP, which will drop in pretty much, my question is: not knowing the prop dimensions and not wanting to haul out or having to hire a diver to measure same, can anyone experienced with this operation tell me the Dia and pitch, believing the set up would be the same for all the Columbia 36'S with an A4. Thanks, Doug.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: re-engine

I had a Columbia 36, "Patriot" in Long Beach, CA late 70's early 80's. It had a 2 cylinder Albin diesel with a fixed 2 blade prop. I changed to a folding prop as I was racing a lot. I suggest you either haul or dive and check out the prop as it could be one of many.

Depending on what you are paying for the new engine, gearbox, etc. the cost of hauling is minor. It is less expensive to buy another prop than have another reduction gear. If you are "over propped", it would be like driving your diesel powered vehicle up a steep hill in high gear. You would destroy the engine in short time.

Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 09:03   #3

Boat: Tartan 40

Beta marine makes a drop in replacement for A4 and should be able to spec the prop
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 10:05   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

as posted it sounds as if you have no idea of what you are doing beyond swapping one engine for another. my first query would be why do you need a new prop if as you say the new engine "which will drop in pretty much" is the same?

You have a customer? imho I only see red flags here.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:34   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

If you are in the us, swapping an engine out with something other than a replacement of the same unit triggers emissions laws. A new install is required to meet current emissions standards. If you are the boat owner that is one thing, but doing it professionally, you are taking a heck of a risk.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine