Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2005, 10:09   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Rebuild of Yanmar 3QM30

Am contemplating a total rebuild of a YanMar 3QM. Any one done it and what are the 'problems' to be encountered and any advice you can offer.

With all those 'over-engineered' and 'wierd' seals and gaskets, it seems this is not going to be a straight-forward rebuild.

Any comments appreciated.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 12:49   #2

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
define rebuild

Rich

Define rebuild. Are you intending to get, into the cylinders, replacing rings, etc or do you just want to replace raw&fresh water pumps, sensors, belts, heat exchangers, etc.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 12:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And if you don't mind, Why the rebuild??? What is the fault and why???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 13:02   #4

Total remachining.... boring of cylinders, new pistons if necessary, total valve overhaul, line-boring of crank journals if necessary, etc. A soup to nuts precision rebuild.

I dont have all the necessary machining capability so I will have to send some parts out, etc.

Just concerned with all those zillions of seals, etc. .... and obviously hidden problems that I'll uncover. I avoid Japanese 'engineering' whenever possible .... too over engineered, too fragile, more complicated than necessary, etc. Thats why Im looking for someone who'se been totally inside one.
Old 13-09-2005, 13:07   #5

Alan -
Engine hours are about 4000 but I really dont know the entire history. Was overpropped probably for most of its entire life.
With 4000 on it, its probably getting close to rebuild/replace time. I have the time to do it now and dont want to get into the hassle after I cut the docklines.
Old 13-09-2005, 15:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I had an old Yanmar rebuilt...

I had a Yanmar that I put into my ferro yacht rebuilt many years ago.
I thought that just because it was old and looked rough it needed a rebuild.
It was a devil of a job getting the engine out and taking it to the dealer, and when I got it back it there was no improvement.
So unless you are getting clear indications that your engine needs a rebuild consider if it is worth the trouble and expense.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 23:11   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmmm, 4000hrs is getting up there for a wee 3. And especially if it was worked hard while overproped. It is hard on main bearings. It can also leed to holes in the pistons, but that is either a go/nogo failure.
However, as Chris has also stated, if it is not showing any major signs, it still could have a lot of life left in her. At least with Deisels, it is rare that you get a sudden failure. Not impossible, just rare.
As for the motor, you will find no hidden surprises. Nor a zillion seals etc. They are well engineered and not overly complicated. I suggest a strip down and send the block to an engine reconditioner or engine machine shop or what ever you call them your way. I imagine the crank will need ground and then oversize bearing shells to suit. You won't want the Journals bored. IF cylinders are bored, then it will mean new pistons.

Mate, I know of a 3 cylinder Yanmar here for sale that has done next to nothing in hrs. It is a few years old, but I doubt if it has even reached 300hrs. I know the motor, the boat and the owner well and can vouch for them all. The owner doesn't want a lot for it. I wonder if it would be cheap to get over to you.
What is it going to cost to recon yours???
They are about NZ$13K new here. You would probably get this one for NZ$4.5-5K. That's about US$3500 at most to you. Let me know if you want to pursue it and I could investigate it further for you. Just a thought.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 06:12   #8

Thanks Alan -
Yup, 4000 hours would translate to over 250,000+ miles on land and thats just about the limit of a diesel, even a land station steady state prime mover. Total expected rebuild costs should be somewhere near US$4K, much better than a new engine. Plus, I'll know what I have when done, especially if I 'micro-polish', it should be better than a new engine. Too bad the Yanmar isnt a 'sleeved' engine. Just looking for info from someone who actually has done it .... as there are 'always' tricks and traps.

Tags
rebuild, yanmar