Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 19:11   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rebuilding 4JHE Raw Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Still, for $250 for a Yanmar rebuild kit, surely that contains a shaft for that kind of money
I dunno what Yanmar puts in their kits or what they charge for them, but as mentioned upthread, the bearings and seals are available from regular bearing supply houses as are the Speedi Seal sleeves... and I'm sure that the total replacement cost would be well less than 50 b ucks.

I've done this job with several Johnson pumps over the years and it isn't very hard to do. Maine Sail has a tutorial on his website. It's kinda generic, but shows the general procedure that is followed for all such puimps.

Jim
Old 01-12-2019, 19:50   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rebuilding 4JHE Raw Water Pump

What I was saying is that even if the shaft is scored and you don’t want to do a speed sleeve as in there may not be one available, and their may not be a seal and bearing shop either that the overhaul kit which I’m pretty sure does contain a shaft is still 1/4 the cost of a new pump.
I bought a new pump because I have backups for all my pumps except the engine fresh water pump which I should get, having a spare means I can pop in the spare and drive on and overhaul the old one at my leisure and it becomes the spare.
I have two extra spare bilge pumps, because it just so happened that the aircraft we used to manufacture uses a large Rule bilge pump as it’s hopper rinse tank pump. Otherwise I guess I’d only carry one.
I know that both the bilge pump and the engine fresh water pump aren’t rebuildable.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 20:45   #18

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

The water pump">raw water pump my 3ym30 came with had a mild steel lip spring in the shaft seal & the bearings were completely rusted. Ordered the seal from Hamilton Marine for about $8. There are only 3 or 4 bearing mfgrs so many brngs fit multiple applications. The smaller of the 2 brngs is also the pilot shaft brng for a Chevy: cost $1.99. The larger one cost about $7. Take the outside diam, the thickness & the shaft bore (in & mm) & take to an auto motive parts store. They have all brngs listed by size.

Never press new brngs in our out by pushing on the inner race - old brngs doesn't matter. Make sure the hole you're pushing the brng into is CLEAN, SMOOTH & lightly greased. Tapping on a socket just slightly smaller than the outer diam can get it in. It MUST go in square, so start carefully.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 20:49   #19

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Still, for $250 for a Yanmar rebuild kit, surely that contains a shaft for that kind of money
It doesn't - retail on both the impeller and the water seal is ~90USD each.

I found the seal on ebay in original packaging for $25 and have ordered the orings and bearings from pumpvendor.com. I will keep this thread updated with progress. I have plenty of impellers already.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Apparently, Major Service Kits for Yanmar Engine Cooling pumps seem to contain all internal service parts, Except the Shaft.
https://www.pumpvendor.com/Yanmar_Parts_List.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 19:21   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Meanwhile I need to figure out why my pump doesn’t have that bearing on the end.
Odd as this sounds but do you think the bearing may fit over the nut?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, rebuild, water, water pump