Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 16:46   #1

Boat: Ohlson 35
Rebuilding a 2GM20?

I wanted to ask if anyone with limited engineering skills has ever rebuilt a Yanmar 2GM20 and how it went?

I've rebuilt 2 and 4 stroke petrol engines and many years ago serviced diesel injectors and pumps, but how much of a task is it to rebuild your own marine diesel engine when not having done one before?

Thanks in advance.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:20   #2

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Rebuilding a 2GM20?

I'm about the same as you, know my way around petrol engines but i'd never tackled a diesel before - as far as i can see, the issues are about the same, only the details are different. If anything diesel engines are simpler to work on, more robust and a bit more forgiving because they arent really high performance. From my experience the biggest problem is getting the damn things in and out of the boat, the rest is pretty much the same as doing a motorcycle or car - you still need to find an engineering outfit for the heavy stuff if it needs it, and you might have to make a few special tools but - how bad is your engine? if it doesnt need main bearings or sleeves or valve seats the rest is pretty straight forward...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:18   #3

Boat: Ohlson 35
Re: Rebuilding a 2GM20?

Thanks Charlie.

I'm hauling her out for 10 months for a total re-fit so I may well go with a rebuild. I was a sailmaker and canvas worker for many years so this work is no problem for me, however, the engine is another scene altogether. I was imaging that rebuilding the engine would at least give me the knowledge of the inside and out of the engine.

I'd really like to update to a Beta 30hp and if ever this engine gave me a headache during a rebuild I will, he says.....

Thanks Charlie.
Reverend Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm20