Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 04:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Rebuilt Diesel Boat Engine Procedure

I am sharing this procedure I researched, wrote about 15 years ago and ihas been shared with over 200 folks who have purchased one of my rebuilt Perkins engines. My young business partner, who is only 75. I am 81 are not looking for work but we both have been cruisers, me for 14 years and are willing to share.

This is the engine operator's responsibility.

Diesel engines that have been re-manufactured, rebuilt or had piston rings replaced MUST be operated properly in their first few hours so the rings seat properlyin the cylinder liners. Failure to follow the following protocol may result in damaged rings, excessive oil and fuel consumption or total damage to the engine.

A. The engine must be installed properly with all cooling equipment, oil and fuel filters, lines, etc. and electrical connections in compliance with ABYC (American Boating Yachting Counsel), Perkins and other engine manufactures , and boat builders recommendations.

B.
1-The transmission output shaft coupling must be aligned with the prop shaft coupling to within .003" at four positions 12,3, 6 & 9 O'clock
2- A proper dampener must have been installed on the flywheel and torqued to specs.
3-All engine mounts must be in new or good condition.

C.The first ten (10) hours are the most critical in breaking in the engine Assure the oil levels are proper and a good quality CD rated diesel engine oil is used, such as Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella 15W40 is used. After ten(10) running hours the oil and filter .MUST be changed to the same or similar quality oil.
Be sure to check the oil level before each use and add oil if needed. During the first few hours of operation, as the rings seat in the cylinders, minor oil consumption is common.

D. The first 20 hours must be EASY running.
1-Maximum idle time is 5 minutes, no heavy loading, engine speed should not exceed 85% of torque peak or 3,000 RPM's for a Perkins 4.108.
2-The engine speed must be varied often during the first 200 hours,i.e. do not set the engine speed at a specific RPM and leave for hours.
3-Change the engine speed slightly each 10 to 15 minutes.

E.Observe engine oil pressure, coolant temperature and maintain oil and coolant levels on the dipstick or expansion tank.

F.Check for any oil, water, fuel or exhaust leaks, excessive vibration, discolored exhaust smoke and correct.

G.After 20 hours and the first oil & filter change, run the engine to operating temperature and re-torque the head bolts, 60PSI on a 4.108. Then re-adjust the valve lash or tappet settings.

H.Oil filters should be changed each 100 hours or annually. Coolant should be changed annually, mixture of 50% distilled water & 50% antifreeze.

I. Fuel filters must be maintained and replaced as needed.

J, The "Raw" water cooling system must be maintained so as to pump an adequate amount of sea water through the heat exchanger and oil coolers. The pump impeller should be examined on a regular basis and replaced as needed. Observe the amount of water flowing through the exhaust and replace/repair as needed. When the water system components are new, have a stop watch and hold a 5 gallon bucket under the exhaust and time how it takes to fill. Do this at least annually or after long motoring.

An engine hour meter must be installed and a log book maintained.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:14   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Rebuilt Diesel Boat Engine Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
G.After 20 hours and the first oil & filter change, run the engine to operating temperature and re-torque the head bolts, .........
Thanks for posting your procedure.

Am I understanding this correctly - you recommend re-torquing the head bolts when the engine is hot???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks for posting your procedure.

Am I understanding this correctly - you recommend re-torquing the head bolts when the engine is hot???

Thanks, I should have been more clear. Since some of the head bolts are under the rocker arm assembly and it must be removed to torque them it must have cooled enough for human hands to remove it.

Perkins 4.108 Workshop Manual 1982, Page E-20 #17 "After warming up, the engine should be shut down and the cylinder head nuts again tightened to the correct torque and sequence Figure E21"

How hot is "hot" vs warm?
Old 10-05-2020, 16:20   #4

Boat: Pearson 365

Thanks for this information! I spent quite a bit of time and treasure on my rebuild and knowing how to breaki in properly should ensure another 40 years of Perkins power.
Great engine and infinitely simple and reliable.
jpendoley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:20   #5

Boat: Shannon 38

Thank you!
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:39   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I am sharing this procedure I researched, wrote about 15 years ago and ihas been shared with over 200 folks who have purchased one of my rebuilt Perkins engines. My young business partner, who is only 75. I am 81 are not looking for work but we both have been cruisers, me for 14 years and are willing to share.

Diesel engines that have been re-manufactured, rebuilt or had piston rings replaced MUST be operated properly in their first few hours so the rings seat properlyin the cylinder liners. Failure to follow the following protocol may result in damaged rings, excessive oil and fuel consumption or total damage to the engine.

A. The engine must be installed properly with all cooling equipment, oil and fuel filters, lines, etc. and electrical connections in compliance with ABYC (American Boating Yachting Counsel), Perkins and other engine manufactures , and boat builders recommendations.

B.
1-The transmission output shaft coupling must be aligned with the prop shaft coupling to within .003" at four positions 12,3, 6 & 9 O'clock
2- A proper dampener must have been installed on the flywheel and torqued to specs.

C.The first ten (10) hours are the most critical in breaking in the engine Assure the oil levels are proper and a good quality CD rated diesel engine oil is used, such as Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella 15W40 is used. After ten(10) running hours the oil and filter .MUST be changed to the same or similar quality oil.
Be sure to check the oil level before each use and add oil if needed. During the first few hours of operation, as the rings seat in the cylinders, minor oil consumption is common.

1-Maximum idle time is 5 minutes, no heavy loading, engine speed should not exceed 85% of torque peak or 3,000 RPM's for a Perkins 4.108.
2-The engine speed must be varied often during the first 200 hours,i.e. do not set the engine speed at a specific RPM and leave for hours.

E.Observe engine oil pressure, coolant temperature and maintain oil and coolant levels on the dipstick or expansion tank.

F.Check for any oil, water, fuel or exhaust leaks, excessive vibration, discolored exhaust smoke and correct.

G.After 20 hours and the first oil & filter change, run the engine to operating temperature and re-torque the head bolts, 60PSI on a 4.108. Then re-adjust the valve lash or tappet settings.

H.Oil filters should be changed each 100 hours or annually. Coolant should be changed annually, mixture of 50% distilled water & 50% antifreeze.

J, The "Raw" water cooling system must be maintained so as to pump an adequate amount of sea water through the heat exchanger and oil coolers. The pump impeller should be examined on a regular basis and replaced as needed. Observe the amount of water flowing through the exhaust and replace/repair as needed. When the water system components are new, have a stop watch and hold a 5 gallon bucket under the exhaust and time how it takes to fill. Do this at least annually or after long motoring.

Listen to old men. A wealth of knowledge can be had. Ask a teen about electronic.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:49   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

We run a Yanmar, but the advice sounds good. Following
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 19:06   #8

Quote:

B.

I apologize for this somewhat ignorant question, but does this apply equally to new engines or just rebuilds? If just rebuilds, what is the difference it's addressing? Thanks.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 19:12   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Thanks, I should have been more clear. Since some of the head bolts are under the rocker arm assembly and it must be removed to torque them it must have cooled enough for human hands to remove it.

Perkins 4.108 Workshop Manual 1982, Page E-20 #17 "After warming up, the engine should be shut down and the cylinder head nuts again tightened to the correct torque and sequence Figure E21"

How hot is "hot" vs warm?
Thanks for the clarification.

Is it normal practice for other engines to re-torque when warm rather than cold or is this a "Perkins" thing?

FWIW, the pain threshold for the human hand is generally considered about 45C and certainly by 50C, things feel hot enough to to burn your hand which also about the point when flesh stats to cook.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

New or Rebuilt? Refer to the Owners/Shop Manual for a NEW engine. Different engine manufacturors have different instructions.

Our procedure applies to Perkins 4.108 that we have rebuilt, but may be applied to others
Old 12-05-2020, 14:01   #11

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

I am used to heavy diesels. After rebuild, some (Cummins), recommend to get the engine to operating temperature. Then run at 75 - 80% load for +4 hours to seat the rings properly. Twenty or so hours of operation afterwards and change oil and filters. Then severe service schedule limits for first oil change one time after that, then normal service change interval. If done by a reputable rebuilder, they will dynomometer the engine for the initial break-in (4 hour period) to verify their work.
Caterpillar method varies slightly.

Best wishes

Tags
boat, diesel, engine