Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 18:02   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
Might also look at fuel additives. Reduced sulphur fuel may like some additive. Another argumentative point. I add a touch of bio stuff in every fuel up. Used to be mystery oil now its bio jr. Treats the fuel for bio and adds lubrication. Says it right on the bottle. So far doesn't seem
to have been a issue adding this. Guess its not a bad thing used as suggested. Seems prudent to look at your fuel source when discussing engine maintenance.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:04   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Rebuilt motor smokes

Ive been running and rebilding diesel engines for over 50yrs. I don't see any reason to run any other type of oil but natural oils made for and proven in diesels engines. Almost all Non-natural oils are not really made for diesels! Personaly I prefer DELO 15- 40 or Shell diesel oils. I have had Perkins with over 10,000 hours on them that still ran well and did not use any oil between 100 hr oil changes, and my current 471 GM diesel, has been run on Delo 15-40 for 4000 +hours, and has no leaks or any smoke! There are lots of things to spend money on in our boats, why spend extra money on things that will not really improve the work or the life of todays diesel engines! Most all makers of diesel engines suggest the use of diesel lube oils made by major oil makers! I really can see no good reason to use a trick oil when most engine makers suggest the use of the good old oils made just for diesel engines, not oil made for high speed auto engines! Im old fashion I know! But Im gonna stick with what Ive seen work well for more years then most folks have lived ! Just my 2 cents And Im also a real CHEAP cruiser! I will spend my extra bucks on the best oil filters that are made!!
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:09   #18

Boat: Cornado 25

Another great read right here in the stickies at the top of this forum.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post94604

Do not baby your diesel .... run em hard, change the oil.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:50   #19

Both oils as labeled are refined oil products. The higher end stuff has better quality when extreme temperatures are experienced. Synthetic exceeds at this ability. The balance between cleaning and not leaving varnish benefits synthetics . Marine engines get themselves into high heat engine rooms. Synthetic high end oil is a better choice.
Lets hear from the yanmar guys that run turbo hyped hp engines using dyno. Then the low rpm guys with high end synthetics. Long run my money is on low rpm non turbo using synthetic high end oils. Then the synthetic turbo guys. Last will be the any dyno oil
Old 20-09-2013, 19:27   #20

Today's better oils will exceed what your old oil did 30 years ago.just because it was okay doesn't mean that engineered oils that aren't your generation don't perform better. If I compared my current telephone service with my experience 20 years ago it would have zero relevance. A specifically engineered oil will out perform a generic everytime. It's why all motor companies are going to engineered oil specs.
Yes it worked okay for the last 40 years. Now its better and we can look forward to being old farts bragging about our motors running 20,000 hours.
Old 20-09-2013, 21:30   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think it's silly to compare oil to telephone service in an attempt to prove a point. The OP is talking about a smoking engine. The last thing you want to do is coat the walls with superior lubricity. Mineral oils will break down the glazing that might have occured or a stuck oil ring. I use a Swepco 306 in my engine because that's what all the rebuilders do.
http://swepcolube.com/sites/default/...ure_j08346.pdf
It's $10 a quart but I am told that it extends the life of the engine greatly. However, if I was trying to stop a stuck ring, I will stand by my earlier post and use a mineral oil and work the engine hard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor