Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:57   #1

Rebuilt Westerbeke W80 - injectors won't bleed

I recently rebuilt my engine, and upon trying to get it started today, it will run but sounds like it's only running on 2 cylinders.

Westerbeke W80

The tricky thing is that the manual says to turn the pump on and crack the low pressure side of the injectors one by one until you see fuel (no bubbles). When I do that, I see absolutely nothing for minutes and minutes. Even with the engine running, no fuel out of bleed screws. The pump bleeds OK, but the injectors aren't? I'm guessing this is why it's running like crap. Anyone know what's going on?

I also had the injection pump rebuilt while it was apart, so it's brand new as far as the engine is concerned.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:28   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Rebuilt Westerbeke W80 - injectors won't bleed

To bleed, you're doing the bottom connection?
The top is excess fuel return and little fuel goes back to the tank.
You have an electric fuel pump? Should be no problem. Manual pump takes a lot of hand pumping and the engine stopped in the flat part of the cam.

With the engine running, take a long screw driver, put the tip on an exhaust port and the handle to your ear and see if you can tell if one cylinder is not firing. If you find one, switch injectors and see if the miss moves. If it moves you have a problem with the injector. If it doesn't move, maybe the pump, or other mechanical problems. Amazon has this stethoscope for $5. There are better ones.

Working on an injector pump requires you to be exceedingly clean. In most cases best left to a professional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stethoscope.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	293613  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:47   #3

Re: Rebuilt Westerbeke W80 - injectors won't bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I recently rebuilt my engine, and upon trying to get it started today, it will run but sounds like it's only running on 2 cylinders.

Westerbeke W80

The tricky thing is that the manual says to turn the pump on and crack the low pressure side of the injectors one by one until you see fuel (no bubbles). When I do that, I see absolutely nothing for minutes and minutes. Even with the engine running, no fuel out of bleed screws. The pump bleeds OK, but the injectors aren't? I'm guessing this is why it's running like crap. Anyone know what's going on?

I also had the injection pump rebuilt while it was apart, so it's brand new as far as the engine is concerned.
It seems like your W80 has a DPA injector pump, sometimes these can be difficult to bleed , often I undo the two case bleed screws while cranking to take advantage of the extra pressure from the metering pump to purge the air….. messy but effective. Also bleed the injector pipes at the injectors , the high pressure ones, it really speeds up the process. I’m assuming that the primary fuel system back to the tank is all in good condition with new filters so won’t discuss suction air leaks.
I have seen an instance of where the injector pipes were crossed on the hydraulic head and the engine ran …badly…but it did start and run. Finally , move the throttle lever to full fuel and give her a try but be ready to pull it back to idle.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke