Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 08:21   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Refueling with Engine Running

Yes, filling hundreds of gallons at the pump versus five gallon jugs at sea are a different story. There is one more reason not to have the motor running when fueling. Fuel systems can develop leaks. One should make sure no fuel leaked in the bilges before starting the engine. Make sure their is no smell below too and no vapors in the engine room. While it's much different, on small lakes with gasoline engines, the highest incident of fire is immediately after filling.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 09:48   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've seen lots of commercial fisherman keep the engine running while fueling with diesel. Not sure if there are laws now, but commercial truck drivers never used to shut down their diesels either, back when I worked in jobs that took me to truck stops. Most of my refuelings last year were with the engines running, and nobody every said anything about it.

I can see the air ingestion thing - maybe - if the tank was low.

No harm in shutting them down, so I'll try to get into that habit.

PS: We ARE talking about diesel here, not gasoline, right?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 10:05   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

Yes we are talking about diesel. However if you are at a fuel dock, there is a chance that someone will be filling with gasoline at the same time. I have seen diesels run away from ingesting gasoline fumes.
Old 27-01-2014, 10:11   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Embolisms in the fuel lines? Rubbish. If that's the case, heavy seas sloshing the tanks around when you are a quarter full would have done the same thing.

The return line to the tank is pressurized, and no air is going to overcome your injector pump pressure. If you are draining fuel from near the bottom of the tank, isn't it then going into a completely separate canister in the form of a fuel filter? I have to wonder about some of these answers.

There's no safety reason not to leave a diesel running while refueling. You couldn't ignite a puddle of this fuel with a match.And it's most definitely NOT illegal everywhere in the world. Just in some of the major nanny states.

PLEASE tell me that you wore your hazmat suit, gloves, respirator, and ANSI approved safety goggles while refueling!!!! And that you had someone standing by with the proper category and recently inspected fire extinguisher, and that they have been properly trained, and certified in the use of that fire extinguisher.

Did you have a note from your doctor stating that it's safe for you to be in proximity of diesel fumes, which are known by the State of California to cause cancer? Did you inspect the seals, licenses, and certification dates on the fuel pump?
Old 28-01-2014, 04:50   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
My PO ( a diesel mechanic) mentioned that I couldn't run the Yanmar 2GM while refueling. I don't get why. I have a fill port, a pickup port, a vent with a T ftg for the fuel return line. I don't see why I can't fill the tank while engine runs. Does this make sense?
I think you were already answered, but in case not, the reason is that you have a tank without a proper return fitting. When the engine is running it is consuming fuel, causing a slight vacuum, and pulling the return fuel into the vent. When fueling this is not true, the vent is expelling air, and in your case fuel too.

All the other speculated problems about air ingestion etc.....are speculation. I suppose in a small tank near empty the suspended air in the pickup could cause a problem, but that's not why you were warned.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 06:21   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

As some one stated previously, in Canada it is the law to shut off your engine before refuelling. I have always just found it to be common courtesy. Imagine 6 or more boats fuelling up at a dock all with their engines running. The fumes alone from the running engines should cause the dock workers concern as a health hazard. When you are out motoring do you enjoy a slight breeze that pushes your exhaust fumes back into the cockpit or cabin. As someone else also put it, if you are afraid your engine won't start after you refuel you have bigger problems.
Old 28-01-2014, 06:44   #22

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
As some one stated previously, in Canada it is the law to shut off your engine before refuelling. I have always just found it to be common courtesy. Imagine 6 or more boats fuelling up at a dock all with their engines running. The fumes alone from the running engines should cause the dock workers concern as a health hazard. When you are out motoring do you enjoy a slight breeze that pushes your exhaust fumes back into the cockpit or cabin. As someone else also put it, if you are afraid your engine won't start after you refuel you have bigger problems.
One thing that should be noted too is that while the risk of fire with diesel is relatively minimum with gasoline it is much higher. Gasoline can ignite as can it's fumes at very low temperatures while Diesel does require at least 125 degrees F.

Still all the fuel stations here say to cut your engines off and that includes the diesel fills. Whether it's necessary on diesel is debatable, but it just seems a simple thing to do. And on larger diesel boats you're talking an extended time for fueling.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:09   #23

Boat: O'Day 28

Thanks. Often fun to see how far afield answers can drift. Yepper, we're talking diesel here, and my system is like new including tank etc. It's me that isn't like new and this is the first diesel engine I've lived with. I've always had sail boats. It's no biggie to shut down while refueling. I was just curious.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fuel