Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:09   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Reliability of Hangkai 6Hp 2 stroke outboard?

Hi,

our 20 year old Suzuki 2 stroke dinghy outboard just died with gear failure, does not look fixable.

We are on a budget and I like the simplicity of 2 stroke outboards.

Came across the Hangkai 6hp outboard from China which is very well priced for a few hundred Euros.

Question, has anyone here experience with the Hangkai brand? Are they reliable? I suppose they come out of the same factory as some higher value brands.

We use the outboard on a day to day base in seawater. I feel a two stroke is easier to fix for a small mechanic shop than a complicated 4stroke.
We are on a budget and would usually not go to the brand dealers to get stuff fixed.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

(Before someone tells me don't buy from China, we are in Europe, so I have no hesitation to buy non US products and Chinese products have come a long way).
Old Today, 08:28   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Reliability of Hangkai 6Hp 2 stroke outboard?

Are you ordering this online in EU? If so it will likely be rejected at customs. Sale of 2 stroke outboards are banned in EU and UK. Except for professional users (primarily fishermen) and garden equipment users leaf blowers, chain saws etc. These groups have better lobbiest than cruisers. You can still buy in Morrocco and I suspect in Tunisia.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Are you ordering this online in EU? If so it will likely be rejected at customs. Sale of 2 stroke outboards are banned in EU and UK. Except for professional users (primarily fishermen) and garden equipment users leaf blowers, chain saws etc. These groups have better lobbiest than cruisers. You can still buy in Morrocco and I suspect in Tunisia.

Thanks, I'm aware of that, but funny enough Italian Amazon is full of them, so I wonder how that happens.

Agreed, Tunisia is my other option.
Old Today, 08:48   #4

But can you get parts? Without a robust supply chain for spares, the engine is close to worthless.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
But can you get parts? Without a robust supply chain for spares, the engine is close to worthless.

Well that's the big question, at 500€ for the Hangkai, and 2000€ for a Yamaha I'm possibly giving it a try.

Our two 9.9 Yamaha are running with spares from Alibaba.

Carburetor from Yamaha is a rip off with over 400€ the exactly same part from Alibaba is 25€.Same for the control board, 40€ Alibaba, over 300€ from Yamaha.

Guess it will be possible to get spares for the Hangkai. Need to check.
Old Today, 09:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

our 20 year old Suzuki 2 stroke dinghy outboard just died with gear failure, does not look fixable.

We are on a budget and I like the simplicity of 2 stroke outboards.

Came across the Hangkai 6hp outboard from China which is very well priced for a few hundred Euros.

Question, has anyone here experience with the Hangkai brand? Are they reliable? I suppose they come out of the same factory as some higher value brands.

We use the outboard on a day to day base in seawater. I feel a two stroke is easier to fix for a small mechanic shop than a complicated 4stroke.
We are on a budget and would usually not go to the brand dealers to get stuff fixed.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

(Before someone tells me don't buy from China, we are in Europe, so I have no hesitation to buy non US products and Chinese products have come a long way).
i give you free brand new with 1 extra carburatour. he work only 20-30 second this is max time this engine can work 10-20 second max when new.
garbage is nice if sombody tell for this chinese crap made in garage from scrap metal casting.i think this is worst in world castig pices of ****
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Well that's the big question, at 500€ for the Hangkai, and 2000€ for a Yamaha I'm possibly giving it a try.

Our two 9.9 Yamaha are running with spares from Alibaba.

Carburetor from Yamaha is a rip off with over 400€ the exactly same part from Alibaba is 25€.Same for the control board, 40€ Alibaba, over 300€ from Yamaha.

Guess it will be possible to get spares for the Hangkai. Need to check.
yamaha 3000€ is cheap ws wasting money call hangkai.hangkai is most epensive engine i buy in my life 500€ for one time 4 meter sail second time 25 meter and after this and new carbourator newer start again
more is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, outboard, reliability