Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 18:21   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Remote Starter to Help With Bleeding HP Side Fuel Injectors

If I need to bleed my engine's fuel injectors on the high pressure side, it is very difficult to do alone. I would like to use a remote starter that clips onto the relevant areas and you push a button to turn the engine.

Like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3650-Auto.../dp/B002YKFA3G

1. I just want to make sure I am looking at this the correct way. In the photo, would I make the connect between the "A" and "B" bolts on the Solenoid? Or, should one of the clips go somewhere on the starter motor?

2. Would this negatively affect the alternator?

I would just use this to turn the engine a few times to bleed the injectors. The water intake seacock would be closed and the decompression levers would be engaged. The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30f.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4108.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	229910  
FuneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 13:06   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Remote Starter to Help With Bleeding HP Side Fuel Injectors

If the switch is rated for the full amps of the starter it will work. But it is better to connect between the terminal where the battery is connected and the smaller terminal where the ignition button or key is connected.
I don't see it in the picture, but there should be a small terminal with a light wire. Sometimes there is an "S" next to it. Your way bypasses the solenoid and transfers high amps. My way activates the solenoid and only needs a few amps. See pic. Small tab at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter & solenoid_sm.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	229957  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:31   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneSF View Post
If I need to bleed my engine's fuel injectors on the high pressure side, it is very difficult to do alone. I would like to use a remote starter that clips onto the relevant areas and you push a button to turn the engine.

Like one of these:

1. I just want to make sure I am looking at this the correct way. In the photo, would I make the connect between the "A" and "B" bolts on the Solenoid? Or, should one of the clips go somewhere on the starter motor?

2. Would this negatively affect the alternator?

I would just use this to turn the engine a few times to bleed the injectors. The water intake seacock would be closed and the decompression levers would be engaged. The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30f.

Thanks
1. Yes, just connect between 'A' & 'B'. While the remote switch will have to carry the full starter current using this method, you need to remember the starting current will be relativity small when all cylinders are decompressed.

2. No.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:34   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If the switch is rated for the full amps of the starter it will work. But it is better to connect between the terminal where the battery is connected and the smaller terminal where the ignition button or key is connected.
I don't see it in the picture, but there should be a small terminal with a light wire. Sometimes there is an "S" next to it. Your way bypasses the solenoid and transfers high amps. My way activates the solenoid and only needs a few amps. See pic. Small tab at the top.
The smaller terminal is hidden by the large lug attached to the 'A' terminal.

While I agree that the method you described is superior, the OP will likely not have the room to access the smaller terminal. As mentioned, start current will be low when engine is decompressed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 18:08   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

43$ for a momentary switch? Holly cr@p.

Go to Home Depot and get an inexpensive momentary switch and use to provide 12v to the low-current solenoid contact. A bit of wire and a couple of spade connectors and you are there.

Use one of these to either mount it permanently of at least make it easy to attach.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-230613-...75510408&psc=1
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 18:28   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Everyone. Thank you for the replies.

They're very useful. I'm going to clean out my fuel tank and change the filters this week. I'll give this remote starter method a try when I'm bleeding the engines at the end of the project.
FuneSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Lepke & Wotname are both right.
Those remote starter switches are VERY useful tools.

More expensive versions may have longer & heavier leads, which can be very useful features. Compare apples to apples.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, remote