Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2023, 05:33   #1

Boat: Capri 26
Remote throttle for sailboat outboard

I have a Capri 26 with a Mercury 9.9 hp outboard. Throttle control while docking is a bit of a challenge as I have to reach over the stern railing, while also manning the tiller and docking lines, so I want to install a remote throttle. I’ve looked at several options online, but am wondering where would be the best place to mount this. I generally dock on the starboard side so am sitting on that side when docking. Should this be mounted in the footwell on the starboard side?

Has anyone done this with a similar size boat?

Also, I have never installed a remote throttle before (this is my fist boat). What is the best way to run the cable?
Daysailnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Remote throttle for sailboat outboard

Do you have any links to the system you are looking at? It is nice to have throttle controls recessed so jib sheets hopefully don't get wrapped around them. Barring that a location where they won't get tangled.

With keeping things simple. Would a tiller extension be sufficient? I've known people to slide a pvc pipe with the end split over the throttle control.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:29   #3

Same issue with my previous Catalina 25. I just used my starboard winch as a spot for a midships spring line to the aft dock cleat. No need to add anything related to the motor.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:54   #4

Boat: Capri 26

Thanks. The reason for wanting a remote throttle control is to be able to slow the boat if needed during docking without having to reach over the stern rail, which I also have to do when I’m done sailing to start the motor.

I was also wondering if I could recess this in to the side like in this photo I saw online, although it would have to be in to the seat back like the photo as opposed to the footwell. That would keep it out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5456.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	284253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	284254  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264 Copy.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	284255  
Daysailnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysailnc View Post
Thanks. The reason for wanting a remote throttle control is to be able to slow the boat if needed during docking without having to reach over the stern rail, which I also have to do when I’m done sailing to start the motor.

I have a PVC pipe extender on my dinghy engine, never felt a need to use one on the Catalina 25.

I don't know your docking situation. Where I was with my C5 was a relatively protected slip so I could slip the outboard out of gear just as I approached the dock, making my 90 degree turn to port, and slide slowly in, using the spring line on my starboard winch and lean over and drape it on the aft dock cleat.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:35   #6

Boat: Sabre 28

Good looking boat.

That outboard location is truly awkward. I am not familiar with your boat. Is there anything like wiring to interfere with that location on the starboard side?
As far as running the controls stay well above the waterline, avoiding making holes where water tends to stand, and don't use silicon to seal around the control cables.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:11   #7
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Remote throttle/ transmission cables are stiff and don't like making sharp turns. Your choice of location may be determined by that rather than docking convenience.
Mine are located in the starboard side of the footwell just about at the end of the tiller, and it seems to work OK whichever side I dock to.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:23   #8

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Just thought of this now and maybe it's a crazy idea, but what about putting a motorcycle-style throttle right on the tiller? Yes, I know it would be awkward to do with traditional Morse cables but it probably wouldn't cause the world to end if you used motorcycle-style cables, which are available in stainless steel.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, outboard, remote, rot, sail, sailboat