Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2023, 12:26   #1

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Remove Volvo MDI electronics from D2-40 HOWTO?

Hi CF,

I have a cat with 2x Volvo D2-40's in it and due to reports of MDI fragility and my own issue with display screens not working accompanied by a mystery alarm that comes on on one of the engines after a few minutes of operation (good water flow) etc... The volvo controls for the engines just have a start button and an RPM gauge and a non-functioning display so any alarms are a guess and there is no way to know temperatures / pressures etc.... basically a systematic fail in design. So, rather than remedial the bad design, I would like to utterly delete the MDI, install my own sensors/gauges/relays as necessary so the engines can be operated in old-school mode with out all the Volvo MDI/controls resting safely in a trash can. So, is anyone familiar with the process and or have a link to a parts list and HOWTO or something? Google is failing me here.

This video is a video of someone who has made a backup to the volvo controls but I am talking about eliminating them entirely:

https://www.saillifechannel.com/post...ay-box-2-27-22
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 15:15   #2

Re: Remove Volvo MDI electronics from D2-40 HOWTO?

Simple project........

Go to marine parts express or any other VP parts source and look up the parts lists for the D2-40 A engine. This was the model prior to the MDI, which used normal analog senders and gauges.

Or you could source these same senders, gauges, etc. from a marine electronics supplier such as VDO, Stewart Warner, etc.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 15:57   #3

Vetus also sells a respectable range of instrument panels from the very basic version with buzzer, lights and switch up to a full instrument panel.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 17:21   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Simple project........

Go to marine parts express or any other VP parts source and look up the parts lists for the D2-40 A engine. This was the model prior to the MDI, which used normal analog senders and gauges.

Or you could source these same senders, gauges, etc. from a marine electronics supplier such as VDO, Stewart Warner, etc.
Damn, Doug, you are good.

Wish had known this when I helped a friend do this to his Volvo. Took us a while to spec out the proper senders and gauges, not that great a deal, but time consuming. Not to mention the pulling of new wires to his helm station.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, volvo