Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 23:41   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Removing oil from a Yanmar 2QM15

Uh, I cannot find anything resembling a drain plug.

In my marine diesel book it suggests just dropping a tub down and pumping the oil out. I just thought I would throw out a question here before I resort to that.

Any tricks or anybody know where the plug is?
Old 16-09-2008, 23:59   #2

Boat: Sea Urchin II
Jack,

I use the old hand sump pump, simply run the engine for a few minutes to ensure the old oil is fairly fluid, turn off the engine, remove the dip stick, put the hose down the hole and pump. I am able to extract the majority of the oil in a few minutes.

Simple and easy, most engines I have seen are mounted so low that it would be nearly impossible to get an oil tray under the engine anyway.

Hand sump pumps are quite cheap or you can upgrade to a 12v or vacuum system, however I try and keep it simple, therefore I changing oil more often.
Old 17-09-2008, 03:36   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 300 Classic

Jack,

We have the same engine. I don't believe there is any way except the hand (or 12v)pump. I've accepted the fact that I will never get ALL the old oil out and just live with it and do these three things EVERY time.
1. Change the oil at 50 hours faithfully.
2. Use a good quality, (Fram's Tough Guard, Purolator's PureOne or K&N) oil filter.
I like the K &N because it has a nut made on the bottom of the filter so you can use a regular socket/rachet instead of trying to get a normal oil filter wrench into a tight spot.
3. Use a bottle of Lucas oill additive.
The good filters catch a lot more gunk and the Lucas provides a more slippery film that sticks to the works better than regular oil.
Hope this helps

Regards,
Dave
pirate_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:43   #4

Oh man Pirate- please tell me where the $%$#% dipstick is!!!

I feel like there is something WRONG with me but just cannot find it. I was going to put my pump hose down the thing the filter mounts to...

Thank you!
Old 17-09-2008, 06:35   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Jack check out this for online free manuals. It might help you find the dipstick.

literature

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 06:45   #6

I will look but unless it is compiled by somebody other than Yanmar I don't expect much. The actual Yanmar manual is darn near useless.
Old 17-09-2008, 06:50   #7

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
My Yanmar dipstick has a yellow loop. Middle of engine about 10 inches down on port side.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 06:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
As you face the engine. The dip stick is on the left side slightly to the back midway on the crankcase. Sometimes if you are running aux equipment like a compressor it can be a little hidden behind or underneath it. Unless you have a a mutant Yanmar it has to be there. Of course the dip stick itself may be gone. They're not very big, not much more than a little looped 10 guage wire. Unless the PO manufactured a drain plug there won't be one.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 07:02   #9

Tellie- AWESOME!

You know, this whole time I just *knew* as soon as somebody helped me find it I would feel really dumb. Nope. Even now that I've found it and pulled it I can barely find it! That thing is harder to access than the oil filter, starter... anything. The handle is the same dull gray as everything else- and it is completely obscured by other stuff!

Thank you on both fronts! Do you pump your oil out through the dipstick hole or the spout where the filter goes?
Old 17-09-2008, 07:29   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Jack download the service manual.

Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 07:33   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
Tellie- AWESOME!

You know, this whole time I just *knew* as soon as somebody helped me find it I would feel really dumb. Nope. Even now that I've found it and pulled it I can barely find it! That thing is harder to access than the oil filter, starter... anything. The handle is the same dull gray as everything else- and it is completely obscured by other stuff!

Thank you on both fronts! Do you pump your oil out through the dipstick hole or the spout where the filter goes?

You'll have to pump it out of the dip stick hole like the rest of us. You'll want to invest in a oil pump out. I'd avoid the little bicycle type hand pump that's probably shown in the owners manuel. I bought a manuel oil change pump from (gawd forbid) West Marine for $45 that vacums out the oil into it's own 5 quart container and has all the tubes needed. They are actually on sale for $29.99 now. It makes changing and storing the oil much more convienant.

PS we won't call you dumb........maybe dipstick, but not dumb.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 07:55   #12

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Most of these engines are DESIGNED to be pumped out. I know, for instance, on our MB engines, there's a dimple in the oil pan under the dipstick.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:11   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
When you check the oil, pull the dipstick out wipe it off, put it in, then pull it out just enough to break the seal rubber, push in and pull out, read oil level. Sometimes the action of pushing the dipstick in actually forces the oil down and you get a false reading....I have seen a number of yanmars get overfilled this way
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37   #14

Re: Removing oil from a Yanmar 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
Uh, I cannot find anything resembling a drain plug.

In my marine diesel book it suggests just dropping a tub down and pumping the oil out. I just thought I would throw out a question here before I resort to that.

Any tricks or anybody know where the plug is?
the drain plug is on the side of the oil pan below the dipstick
white74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 13:38   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Removing oil from a Yanmar 2QM15

Thanks for the update White74 however Jack Long did ask the question 10 years ago
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm15, yanmar