Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:23   #1

Boat: Tartan 31
Replace Volvo Penta 2002 starter key with push button?

I'm back with another question about my Volvo Penta 2002.

I don't like needing a key to start the engine and would rather have a push-button starter. For one thing, I can't seem to find anyone who can make a spare key and I am deathly afraid of losing it. For another, the switch is showing signs of wear and I am afraid it could fail one day.

Has anyone replaced the starter key switch with a push button starter on a Volvo Penta 2000 series? Mine is pretty old so I'm sure it doesn't have a security chip or any kind of special electronic security system, it has to just be a simple mechanical switch.

My dad's boat (mk I C&C 35 with an Atomic 4) had a push-button starter so I know it's been done before.

On the other hand, is it possible to hot-wire it in case I should lose the key or the switch fails?

Thanks.
Michigan_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo