Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 09:12   #16

Boat: 34' wood custom sailing cruiser
Re: Replacement Engine for Volvo MD3B

i wasnt really expecting a bolt in conversion. I was kind of figuring on making new wood mounts etc. I was hoping the shaft flange and the transmission flange would work, but since the 2 spare volvo transmissions have different rear plates. I figured something would be close enough to tap, drill, machine etc to mate it up, but thanks for the angle of attack info. I will definitely check it out......on the other hand if I was to buy a used volvo md2b would they transmission still bolt up the same?
retired2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:29   #17

34 foot boat? Let's see, we have one with a 11-9 beam. Mine is 30 years old, came with a 21 hp diesel which still works great (Kubota block, Universal M25). The company made 1,801 Catalina 34s, from 1986 to 2007. After a few years they went to a 23 hp, then a 30.

Don't forget you'll also most likely have an alternator, which eats up a few hp, so 15 is really, really on the low side.

Our 21 hp engine does just fine in the currents here in SF Bay and the Golden Gate.

I wouldn't go lower.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 12:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

May have tossed the crank. It's not where it's been sitting for the past 30 years. Will look around but seem to remember I tried to give it away a while back and had no takers so may have recycled it.

Have you been using the compression releases when trying to turn over the engine?? With the compression releases actuated, there should be no resistance other than the internal friction of the engine when you turn the crank.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 13:45   #19

Boat: 34' wood custom sailing cruiser

thats cool , I can bring my welder and make something in the parking lot, yeah compression releases open.i got it pickled in marvels now......going back later in the week
retired2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:33   #20

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2015 View Post
So I adopted a wooden sailboat a few weeks ago specs are 34 ft 10 ft breadth 4'3" depthgross tonnage was 8.18 net/ registered tonnage was 5.56. Motor claims like 28 HP at the prop. What can I use as a replacement? I am not concerned about speed. Would a 15 hp yanmar suffice? Or do I need to stay at least 30 HP to run hull speed calculated at like 5.5 knots..I plan on mostly learning on the Chesapeake Bay, and at some point maybe doing some longer trips. I just need to know what to expect out of a 15 hp diesel.....will i be vastly disappointed? I am just on a shoestring budget, and the motor in it now the volvo, is stuck, I have freed it somewhat, but I really do not expect it to be up to using without removing and overhauling it..which I can do. So would a yanmar 15 suffice for now? or should I go ahead and keep looking for something larger? thanks for any help! Jeff
I had a Vetus 33 hp 4 cylinder engine and replaced it with a Perkins 4 cylinder model 404-22c 54 hp same size foot print less weight - also I changed the gear box to twin disk system build for continues use which most gear boxes are not meant to run more the a few hours a day. Now the key to Perkins is the very same engine that Volvo Penta use as there 55 hp they just re-brand it and become Volvo which means part cost go up 200% to 300 % depending on the part Yes expensive. I used to have a boat with a 22hp Volvo engine and boy was it expensive for replacment parts…

I can't believe how inexpensive are the replacement Perkins parts are. The Perkins 404- 22c engine is today’s modern light weight engine used for many industrial applications including marine, the challenge is the find a marinated one. Attached is the photo of my engine I repainted with rust proof paint to give it added protection with new gearbox. In the photo I'm nearly finished position it into my boat, then the mechanic takes over for the final line up and adjustments and he connections of everything (pluming and wiring)....Out come after instulation was fantasitc just a great engine you will not know your boat once it is in. Note the Prop needed changing to match more HP out put to a S/S Australian Hawk 3 blade ajustable feathering one .. To save your self any grief, make sure YOU check the engine will fit into the same engine bed foot print including the gear box. Good luck with it.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, md3b, men, volvo