Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: do you replace you engine freshwater & anti-freeze each year?
yes 9 24.32%
no 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 08:23   #31

Re: Replacing Engine Freshwater/Antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
On my perkins 4-108 I had to remove the thermostat and fill the block with coolant.
I find it curious that Perkins would manufacture an engine without a bleed hole or thermostat by-pass channel. I know that for some very old engine they where some instructions on how to drill (create) a bleed hole.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 08:27   #32

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I have a old perking 6-354, I changed my coolant for the first time in about a year, because I needed a new heat exchanger. besides that I do the regular checks she always seems to be fine.
Old 22-06-2013, 10:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
I find it curious that Perkins would manufacture an engine without a bleed hole or thermostat by-pass channel. I know that for some very old engine they where some instructions on how to drill (create) a bleed hole.
Yeah, it took me a while to ferret it out for sure. I had just had the head rebuilt. ran fine but over heated. FInally the light went on in my head and I solved it. Some t-stats have a small hole in them I think. Maybe this engine didnt have the original stat. This was an 85 engine and this occurred in about 97-98. I discovered the boat for sale again recently, and conversed with the buyer on the boat history,,,,,still has the same Perkins in it and is running great. He bought it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 12:34   #34

Boat: John Spencer Salient ,11.7m Uncle Arthur

Thanks Chala will do as you suggest ie topping up so no air left in heat exchanger, .
then hopefully the overfow tank will flow .
Just looked the Captforce post : on the yanmar coolant bottle it states 50 50 mix i hope they mean one to one ?
Uncle Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 13:33   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Arthur View Post
Just looked the Captforce post : on the yanmar coolant bottle it states 50 50 mix i hope they mean one to one ?
Yes, 50:50 is 1:1 , but my point was NOT to buy the pre-mixed bottle! Buy a One dollar bottle of distilled water and "mix" your own instead of paying more for half of the coolant!
Old 22-06-2013, 15:45   #36

Thanks i got that and wasn't ? you more that i had got it right and would have been clearer if they had stated 1 to 1 .
Old 22-06-2013, 16:03   #37

Boat: Currently boatless

According to my Yanmar manual, ELC/LLC (extended life coolant/long life coolant) should be replaced every two years. According to the Rotella ELC spec sheet, it is good for at least 6,000 hours of coolant service. Rotella Ultra ELC is good for 12,000 service hours. The shelf life of Ultra ELC is 5 years, by the way.

Since i probably will not run my engine for 6000 hours in my remaining lifetime, I think replacing the coolant before the end of its shelf life is a reasonable schedule.
Old 03-07-2013, 13:08   #38

Quote:
Maybe this engine didnt have the original stat.
Yes good to use genuine parts. By the way it is also wise to have a genuine heat exchanger spare cap. They can fall apart in less than five years and give little warning when doing so.

Quote:
topping up so no air left in heat exchanger, .
No air left under the cap. Depending on the design of the heat exchanger it may still be some air left in a recess on the top of the heat exchanger.
Old 03-07-2013, 23:00   #39

I have yet to go and give it a good run ie an hour at 3000rpm . i am informed that this will open the thermostat and allow me to top up the expansion tank .
I will post an update when i have done this .
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38   #40

Quote:
I have yet to go and give it a good run ie an hour at 3000rpm . i am informed that this will open the thermostat and allow me to top up the expansion tank .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
To run an engine with not enough coolant is a bad idea.
Quote:
On my perkins 4-108 I had to remove the thermostat and fill the block with coolant. When I ran the engine prior to that the t-stat was closed and created an air lock... so it wouldnt open even when the engine heated up because it was surrounded by air.
It would be wise to make sure that the engine block contains some coolant before running the engine.

Tags
engine