Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 05:37   #1

Replacing Engine - Norseman 447

I'm replacing my aging Ford Lehaman 61 HP (Peugeot) for either a Perkins M-92B or a Yamaha 4Jhe. Or any suitable engine. Any suggestion?
sypsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:52   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Maybe cummins 4b3.3 see transatlantic diesel
TAD for cummins engines, cummins diesel, cummins marine, Cummins 4B3.3M, 4b3.3m, cummins diesel
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 08:01   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
A friend changed his engine on his Norseman 447 with a yanmar 3jhe. I thought it was too small an engine but he said that he sailed everywhere so it needn't be too big. I have a 4JH4E and after 400 to 500 hours aam just now startignto have a problem which I can't identify.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:17   #4

Engine exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypsyche View Post
I'm replacing my aging Ford Lehaman 61 HP (Peugeot) for either a Perkins M-92B or a Yamaha 4Jhe. Or any suitable engine. Any suggestion?
Hello Psyche, welcome to Cruisersforum.

I have replaced the same engine with a naturally aspirated Isuzu 67hp,
much lighter, better fuel consumption, Spares are readily available at better prices than what is asked for parts for either the Perkins or Yanmar.
Here are pictures of the engine before I installed it, I can provide plenty pictures of the exchange process . By the way are you the same Psyche that sailed around the Andaman sea and the strait of Malacca?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isuzu Engine and Gearbox.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	12195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isuzu Engine and Gearbox 2.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	12196  

Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 17:44   #5

PS. Psyche
To give you an idea of the cost of the above engine the
Isuzu Diesel Model 4JB1- PW
with Twin Disc Transmission Model TM345 #
Transmission Oil Cooler - Fitted
with Full Instrument Panel
crated and
Landed is over $10,000 US cheaper than just the Perkins M-92B engine - no gearbox etc
Old 31-12-2009, 03:21   #6

Yes

Same Psyche. Did you attach it to a "normal" transmission or a V-Drive? Thanks for the info
Old 31-12-2009, 04:01   #7

Hi Psyche,
It was a normal transmission - but it would not have be a problem to connect to a V-DRive.

If you like I'll send you a PM re. our many previous discussions.
Old 31-12-2009, 04:15   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I just replaced a Volvo MD40A in my Contest 48 (40,000 pounds displacement & a 37-foot waterline) with a Beta Marine 90. It's a Kubota 230 cubic inch (3,769cc), 4 cylinder, naturally-aspirated engine that develops 295 foot-pounds of torque at 1,500 RPM. I don't, however, believe that it produces 90 horsepower as Beta Marine claims - the Kubota service manual says it's rated at 80 horsepower at 2,600 RPM and I can't imagine that Beta Marine does anything to it to increase the hp. Regardless, so far I'm delighted with the package: It's quiet, smooth and comes in a surprisingly small footprint. I ordered the optional 100-amp alternator AND the optional 175-amp alternator, both made by Iskra. Mine came with the ZF45 transmission. Beta Marine also offers a 75-horsepower engine, of which I know nothing about.

I did the installation myself except for the assistance I got with the modifications to the engine stringers and aligning the engine. Phillip Jones, aka the Marine Man, sold me the engine and provided the assistance. He is very knowledgeable, pays close attention to detail and is an excellent craftsman. I felt his pricing was fair.

Of course, time will tell how reliable and economical the engine will be. Kubota has earned an excellent reputation in the agricultural and construction equipment industry where hard use and less-than-ideal conditions are the norm.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 21:43   #9

thanks Charlie,
Do you know, which transmission you friend used?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07   #10
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A friend changed his engine on his Norseman 447 with a yanmar 3jhe. I thought it was too small an engine but he said that he sailed everywhere so it needn't be too big. I have a 4JH4E and after 400 to 500 hours aam just now startignto have a problem which I can't identify.
Would be interested in knowing what sort of problem you are having as i have recently installed a new Yanmar 75hp .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:40   #11

Hi Laidback,

where did you get the parts to marinize the engine? and where did you buy the engine? I've trouble finding dealers on the internet, the Isuzu sites do not seem work or give very little info.
thanks for your reply
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypsyche View Post
thanks Charlie,
Do you know, which transmission you friend used?
No sorry I don't know which it was.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Would be interested in knowing what sort of problem you are having as i have recently installed a new Yanmar 75hp .
Here is a link to the thread I started http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oke-33001.html

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41   #14

Never heard a complaint about an Isuzu diesel... surprised you dont see them more often.... maybe they just dont market them much...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:27   #15

Hi Psyche,
Sent you PM with more info, Just one of my decisions to replace with an Isuzu was because my pickup truck has the same engine which has now completed its first 100,000 ks
The boat's new engine runs far better than the Ford (but the Ford was some 30 years old and was getting to the stage where it was showing its age) - better torque at low RPM and because of that better fuel consumption.

Tags
engine