Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 15:27   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Repower - what can I do myself?

Though if you are repowering and shaft is free to be removed I'd replace cutlass bearing and be done with it. They do wear out at some point and are fairly cheap. Why leave a weak link if everything else is being redone

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 20:05   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Though if you are repowering and shaft is free to be removed I'd replace cutlass bearing and be done with it. They do wear out at some point and are fairly cheap. Why leave a weak link if everything else is being redone

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree. If you are hauled out, replace the cutless bearing. It is too cheap and can cause too much grief when it does wear out. Sorta like replacing your impellers annually whether or not they still have a vane or two left on them.

I dont think a dripless is really a necessary upgrade, but it is kinda nice. I have been using stuffing boxes or working on small craft with stuffing boxes for a terribly long time, and once you get the hang of not over tightening, they sure do work good, and they are dead simple, centuries old technology. So yeah dripless is cool but so is a stuffing box. Properly adjusted, with the shaft stopped you will make pretty near zero water, and only couple drops a minute when the shaft is turning.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:58   #18

Boat: Sandibar 35

Ahoy! Long absence from the forum because of another expatriate stint out of the country for a few years and hence no cruising. Thanks again everyone who helped with my questions earlier. Just an update; finally got a new engine this spring; a Yanmar 3JH2E - never used but second hand from a dealer. Was able to install it in the boat, not without hassle though. As with everything this project had a steep learning curve, but now it finally drives the boat.
Last insult was that on the maiden cruise of the new it engine started to emit white smoke from exhaust. After lots of worrying and googling about leaking injectors or cooling water it now seems that it was the old dirty/water contaminated diesel in the main tanks. After changing the primary filter and running the engine from a clean fuel source it runs smokeless now.
No mast for the rest of this season as we have a mooring in the river behind some bridges, so just shorter trips for the next few weeks.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower