Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2006, 08:30   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Repowering an Islander 36

Hello all:

I am thinking of buying one of two 1975 islander 36's. One of the boats "Voiler" has no electronics, windlass, auto pilot or windvane but has a new mast, new engine. The other boat has all the electronics and a wind vane and auto pilot. But I think the engine is original. I am thinking that the best thing to do is to repower the boat with the elctronics. The current engine is a Perkins 4-108. Does anybody knnow what the cost of either rebuilding or repowering the boat on the West Coast would be?

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 11:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Can't comment on cost, but a Perkins is one of the cheapest engines you will ever come across to rebuild (not to mention most reliable). It will be far cheaper than repowering with a new engine. You just have to weigh up if you want (need) more HP/weight and better emission control, that is "usually" availble on newer engines.
Repowering is expensive. It is more than just the cost of the engine. Usually a good rule of thumb, is double the cost of the engine purchase price by the time it is in and running.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 11:59   #3

Thanks Wheeler:

We are trying to add up the additional costs of the boat to get it cruise ready. How is NZ this time of year. Haven't been in ten years or so but plan to go again sometime.

Cheers
C-dawg
Old 20-03-2006, 20:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well, we tend to be rather laid back here, so I wouldn't expect too much to change in ten years.
Someone put in Electric lighting and we can get TV.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 20:45   #5
Kai Nui

Charlie, rebuild of the perkins in this area runs about $5000. Repower will be about 3 times that if you pay someone to do all the work.
Old 21-03-2006, 07:28   #6

pirate

Thanks Kai Nui:

Lets see now if we multiply that by 3 we should be able to get the equivalnet price in the Bay Area I guess htose people have a pretty highopinion of themselves If I decide on that I-36 maybe we'll bring the boat down to Moss Landing for a visit.
Old 21-03-2006, 08:43   #7

Wouldn't be a bad idea Charlie.

Then I can come and visit ya too!!

My boat is tied up there in Moss Landing.

Here's a link to what the area looks like, and my boat.

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...00&ppuser=1545

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 13:05   #8

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
New mast, new engine.....

Sails???????? Do either have sails? I would go with the boat with the new engine if the sails are new, too. The cost of sails will certainly be a deciding factor. Electronics can be added in bits and pieces along the way. For what has been quoted for an engine rebuild, you could buy a lot of electronics.
BY the way, an engine rebuild for $5000 does not replace all the engine systems such as cooling, charging and the like. Generally a new engine comes with new systems, unless of course, a short block was used.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 13:31   #9

That is a good idea. Look at the sails. Why didn't I think of that. I talked to a former owner of Misfit The I-36 with the Electronics and he said the boat is in real bad cosmetic shape and on top of that he feels that the maintenance for the last 10 years or so is suspect and that is when the electronics was installed. I am evolving a philospohy on what to bring cruising and it seems like the simpler idea is more to my taste. As such I am going to limit my systems to roller furling, a manual windlass, Depth sounder, a wind vane, GPS, a manual water maker, a HF reciever and possibly SSB and Radar.

Oh by the way my plan, or at least the plan that I could get Beth and the kids to buy off on is: Purchase an I-36. Cruise down the west coast slowly and for a month or two at a time. Keep the boat in San Carlos Mexico for a year or two on the hard and cruise Mexico for the winter. Hopefully extending the time we spend in Mexico. If everything works out right we'll sell the boat and then get a larger boat to do more extensive sailing.

Cheers,
C-Dawg