Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2022, 16:30   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You may want to do a hybrid of DIY and hire a strong back to help you. There are lots of "boat mechanics" that, with proper direction could help you remove the engine. Then you could do the engine room clean-up and paint. On your boat, having the fuel tank behind the engine like mine, I would inspect that thoroughly, if not replace it. You could do that yourself and also any mods to the engine beds.
Certainly considering a hybrid approach if allowed where I do the job.

I am lucky on the fuel tanks. The 424 has the tank behind the engine but the 422 has twin 40 gal tanks under the settees in the main cabin. Easy to access and remove.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 16:37   #32

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My East Coast experience with Marine Services.

Highest cost. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, Annapolis, Newport

Lower cost: Lower Chesapeake, Downeast Maine, Upper Florida

Lowest cost. North/South Carolina, but not Hilton Head, Georgia

Cost and quality do not correlate.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 18:04   #33

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I certainly would not pay $20,000. I’d do the job myself and I’m 77 years old. What I would do is interview individual mechanics that can often be located in the automotive section of craigslist. You would need to qualify them but switching engines is not rocket science. You could possibly hire a marine mechanic to do the final alignment and check out your work. You might be surprised to know the number of diesel mechanics that moonlight. The key is to ask around, parts dealers might point you in the right direction. I have had many people help me with various projects.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 18:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I certainly would not pay $20,000. I’d do the job myself and I’m 77 years old. What I would do is interview individual mechanics that can often be located in the automotive section of craigslist. You would need to qualify them but switching engines is not rocket science. You could possibly hire a marine mechanic to do the final alignment and check out your work. You might be surprised to know the number of diesel mechanics that moonlight. The key is to ask around, parts dealers might point you in the right direction. I have had many people help me with various projects.
Have actually done an engine swap before and did all the alignment on my current boat so don't need a mechanic for that either. Guess I could do it again but just getting tired of being a mechanic.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 18:23   #35

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have actually done an engine swap before and did all the alignment on my current boat so don't need a mechanic for that either. Guess I could do it again but just getting tired of being a mechanic.
I certainly can relate. Find a young guy to help with the grunt work, I have seen some semi-literate folks out there that were excellent mechanics. I like to spend my money on lobster and crab legs myself.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 18:26   #36

Boat: Columbia 50

I’d suggest calling beta in NC, and asking them who can do the install. When I rang them up for parts, and gave them the serial number, they told me who installed it….good records.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 01:40   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Whom (yard) ever does your your refit, if you go that route, ask how billing is conducted..by the hour or when the job is completed. Watch how mechanics on the job bill the job being performed in other words I’ve witnessed mechanics fetching parts and tools walking backing and forth (gone a half hour or more at a time)while being billed for the time spent not performing the job at hand.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 04:07   #38

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Couldn't find them on the Beta Marine dealer map but doesn't mean they can't buy and install a Beta.

Any personal experience with them?
Not with engine work, but they've done some other repairs for us (rubrail, some electrical, some rudder work) and all that's been very good. I get a chance to watch them tow, haul, and/or launch boats all day long and the yard crew seems really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Scott Segal of armarine is located at Herrington. He's a beta marine dealer, and teaches the diesel classes as Annapolis school of seamanship.
Marine Diesel Service | Ar Marine Diesel

I took both the intro and advanced classes with him. He's incredibly knowledgable and a nice guy.
Herrington North is a really nice marina, would be a great place to have work done. Deale is slightly larger than Galesville.

Herrington owners now also own Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, and they've been doing a boatload of building, dock, and ground renovation.

I don't remember Scott being the name of the guy at Annapolis when I took those courses... but that was about 18 years ago I think... Good course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
I have been customer of Hartge . They can do any heavy duty engine work Call and ask for Alex Schlegel the owner and ask away. Solid reputation
Skip, Hartge Yacht Yard has been sorta different from Hartge Yacht Harbor -- for the last couple of decades or so, I think -- but the Yacht Yard guys are now (as of very recently) working on the Yacht Harbor side, too. And Alex is a Hartge family descendant.

Not sure how Yacht Yard being onsite may/may not affect whoever it is that works in the Yacht Harbor building with the Beta sign on it...

A semi-local and nicely restored "buy boat" was hauled and blocked at Yacht Harbor recently for bottom work and painting and so forth over the course of about 3 weeks (IIRC). That boat moved to Yacht Yard after launch; dunno if that means more work being donw over there, or whether it was just a matter of available dock space, or...

-Chris
Old 24-06-2022, 05:14   #39

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Not relevant to your question on where but the previous owner I bought my boat (Sabre 42) from had the engine replaced before I purchased the boat. This was in approximately 2018. His invoice for engine, parts, and labor was around 32k for a Beta 43. Don't know if that was good or bad. The invoice is about 6 pages long with lots of miscellaneous parts. Replacing the engine involves a lot more than just the engine if you are not replacing with the exact same thing.

I love the Beta and it is plenty of power for my boat which is about 21K pounds with its day/weekend sailing paraphernalia.

Good Luck
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 05:31   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I repowered with a Yanmar 4jh3e with Stuart Marine in Jacksonville, Florida. If Joel Stuart hasn't retired he remains the best.
Old 24-06-2022, 06:05   #41

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Tiger Point Marina in Fernandina
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:34   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

try Comanche Cove in St. Augustine, they have a haul out yard there and replaced the engine on my Beneteau and did a fine job...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:37   #43

Boat: Hughes Custom 45' Catamaran

Hi, I know a great marine mechanic capable with any engine. Located in the Cape Cod area. He is mobile and well tooled with lots of experience. Call him at Wide Open Marine at 781 424 8569.
Windwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:42   #44

Quote:
About time for a new engine but having a lot of trouble finding a mechanic and yard to do it.

Main base for the boat is NE Florida and after six years I can't find a diesel mechanic in the area. Plenty of wrench twisters that will change the oil or impeller but ask them to do a real job, forget it. Had one replace the valve cover gasket and left it leaking worse than it did with the old gasket.

Found a yard in MA that would do the repower and they estimated could be up to $20,000 for labor. This is for a 50-60 HP engine in a 42' sailboat, not a 100' megayacht. Started talking about inspecting or replacing the fuel tanks and more that has nothing to do with dropping in an engine.

Boat is in New England currently but will head back south in the fall so I can stop anywhere on the east coast if I find the right yard.

Probably go with a Beta Marine engine so someone already dealing with Beta preferred.

Just be aware that if your buying a Betamarine that they over rate the horse power. I bought a Beta 75 and when we went to reprop it we could not turn the prop and had to go down 2 sizes. Then one day I found the Kubota rating number and it was 49.8 kw which is only 66 HP. I will never deal with Beta again as a result and I let others know as you can see.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 09:10   #45

Boat: Reliance 44

I used Yacht Power in St Peterburg to repower my 44ft Reliance with a Beta 60.
i am happy with the work and engine.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/yacht-power...int-petersburg
ottewj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, repower