Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2022, 10:29   #46

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33
Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

In my experience Washburn's marine in Solomons Md. is one of the best yards I've ever experience.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 03:50   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Skip, Hartge Yacht Yard has been sorta different from Hartge Yacht Harbor -- for the last couple of decades or so, I think -- but the Yacht Yard guys are now (as of very recently) working on the Yacht Harbor side, too. And Alex is a Hartge family descendant.

Not sure how Yacht Yard being onsite may/may not affect whoever it is that works in the Yacht Harbor building with the Beta sign on it...

Learned yesterday: The new Hartge Yacht Harbor (HYH) owners only want to run the marina side of things, so they're selling (or have sold) the service side of the business to Hartge Yacht Yard (HYY).

HYY is moving onto the HYH site from their current location on the other side of town. (No info on what happens to the current HYY property.)

The Beta sign I've seen at HYH is old, outdated; HYH used to be a Beta and a Torqueedo dealer, but they aren't now.

HYY does do engine work, including repowers.

-Chris
Old 25-06-2022, 13:09   #48

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler
Thumbs up Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I repowered with a Yanmar 4jh3e with Stuart Marine in Jacksonville, Florida. If Joel Stuart hasn't retired he remains the best.
Joel has not yet retired. His Yanmar repowers are a thing of beauty. He’s an artist !
Old 25-06-2022, 18:53   #49

To give you a proper answer on the best way to re-power, I would have to know what you have now almost always it’s better to rebuild than repower , however i can understand you wanting to have everything new , If money isn’t an issue go for it, #1 Least expensive buy a Kabota engine and marinize it yourself this will save you three to $6000 on the engine Alone #2 buy a betta package and hire a mechanic you Supervise , This will save you at least half if not more on labor bill #3 buy a betta and install yourself,I could explain further it would get rather Lengthy
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 05:31   #50

Boat: S2 35C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrity View Post
Gary at Deaton Yacht Yard (now Zimmerman Marine) in Oriental, NC repowered my Bayfield 36 with a Beta 43 in 2019. Excellent work. The East Coast Beta distributor is nearby in Arapahoe, NC.

I experienced mission creep - my decision. For example, while the engine was out, it was a perfect time to clean/repaint quadrant, replace rudder stuffing box, replace binnacle cables/chains. Fuel lines, starter cables, throttle/shift cables... may need replacing. Raw water strainer and fuel filter housing may be looking a little rough. Shaft and wheel needed changing. Cutlass bearing replaced. The list can grow quickly.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
I second the recommendation. Deaton's is good, SailCraft is 50 yards away, Gatlin's in Wayfarers Cove is also good. And yes, Beta-East Coast is about 2 miles from Wayfarers.
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:48   #51

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

strongly recommend TransAtlantic Diesel white marsh maryland
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:04   #52

I keep my boat in Galesville and just repowered to a Beta 30 installed by Marine Engines Unlimited in Galesville. Don Hardy is amazing a wily veteran of 40+ years, very conscientious and unflappable. Highly recommended. Hartge Harbour? Not so much. They have new corporate ownership (guess who) but in prior years I have been disappointed by their work for me. There is another Hartge’s marine service yard in Galesville. I know sophisticated ow era of serious yachts who swear by them and travel long distances to use their services. Oh and how do I like my new Beta 30? I love it. Yanmar’s are big computers—too electronic. A buddy was hit by lightning and it fried his Yanmar electronics. Replacing the electronics was almost as expensive as buying an entire engine. Beta’s are marinized Kubota tractor blocks. Universally available parts plus great access to filters, water pump impellers an integrated oil change pump and easy bleeding controls.
Laxlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:49   #53

Boat: Gulf 32

Check out St Augustine big yard there great place to spend some time
Capt Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
About time for a new engine but having a lot of trouble finding a mechanic and yard to do it.

Main base for the boat is NE Florida and after six years I can't find a diesel mechanic in the area. Plenty of wrench twisters that will change the oil or impeller but ask them to do a real job, forget it. Had one replace the valve cover gasket and left it leaking worse than it did with the old gasket.

Found a yard in MA that would do the repower and they estimated could be up to $20,000 for labor. This is for a 50-60 HP engine in a 42' sailboat, not a 100' megayacht. Started talking about inspecting or replacing the fuel tanks and more that has nothing to do with dropping in an engine.

Boat is in New England currently but will head back south in the fall so I can stop anywhere on the east coast if I find the right yard.

Probably go with a Beta Marine engine so someone already dealing with Beta preferred.

Bock Marina just north of Beaufort, NC. Beta Marine highly recommends them. By the way Beta Marine isn’t more than 25 or 20 miles from Bock.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:04   #55

Beta Marine is at Minesot Beach near Oriental in North Carolina.
Beta Marine US
lisa@betamarineusa.com
(252) 249-2473
• Work

Call Lisa and ask for a list of dealers who could install an engine for you. Just one caveat. I repowered with a Beta 20 and a Newage PRM60D last spring. The engine is rock solid. The transmission is a disappointment. The dipstick in the PRM60D touches the cone clutch. In my case the dipstick was ground away to almost nothing. Lisa sent me a new dipstick which I never leave in the tranny when it's running. I only use the dipstick to check oil, then replace it with the original dipstick that is now cut off above the cone clutch. Unfortunately, there is so much metal floating around in the tranny case that I must drain all the oil every few hours and pull the drain bolt with the magnet to clean the metal filings from the original dipstick. I captain a 130 year old oyster sloop with a 50 HP Beta and TMC60 tranny. It has 350 hours on it and everything works perfectly. Neither the 50 nor my 20 Beta burns oil, the oil is always clean. They run smooth and are naturally aspirated. I like them. But do ask about the tranny before you order one.
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
About time for a new engine but having a lot of trouble finding a mechanic and yard to do it.

Main base for the boat is NE Florida and after six years I can't find a diesel mechanic in the area. Plenty of wrench twisters that will change the oil or impeller but ask them to do a real job, forget it. Had one replace the valve cover gasket and left it leaking worse than it did with the old gasket.

Found a yard in MA that would do the repower and they estimated could be up to $20,000 for labor. This is for a 50-60 HP engine in a 42' sailboat, not a 100' megayacht. Started talking about inspecting or replacing the fuel tanks and more that has nothing to do with dropping in an engine.

Boat is in New England currently but will head back south in the fall so I can stop anywhere on the east coast if I find the right yard.

Probably go with a Beta Marine engine so someone already dealing with Beta preferred.
May seem crazy, but I suggest you do it yourself. Your mast and mainsheet make a great crane to get the engine aboard and just lower it in place. Manufacturer can give excellent advise as to whether motor mounts are suitable, or if not, new motor mounts. I put my 100 horsepower Yanmar engine in myself this way. Yes, I got advice where needed. But the installation costs you nothing but time and the installation isn't that expensive. It is amazing how easy it is. Don't forget that you want to make sure your fuel is perfectly clean for your new engine.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:32   #57

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Try Old Lyme Marina (CT). Have some good mechanics. They service my Yanmar 110. But, plan to wait (everywhere) for the engine to arrive! Unless you sourced one already…
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:13   #58

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

Contact Nordic Marine in Miami (305) 532-1311. They replaced our generator last year and performed the 1000 hour service on our engines. I think you will be happy with their work.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 21:59   #59

Boat: too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrity View Post
Gary at Deaton Yacht Yard (now Zimmerman Marine) in Oriental, NC repowered my Bayfield 36 with a Beta 43 in 2019. Excellent work. The East Coast Beta distributor is nearby in Arapahoe, NC.

I experienced mission creep - my decision. For example, while the engine was out, it was a perfect time to clean/repaint quadrant, replace rudder stuffing box, replace binnacle cables/chains. Fuel lines, starter cables, throttle/shift cables... may need replacing. Raw water strainer and fuel filter housing may be looking a little rough. Shaft and wheel needed changing. Cutlass bearing replaced. The list can grow quickly.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
That's not really mission creep, in my opinion. It's the only way to do the job correctly. And scour and paint the whole engine bed too, you won't be able to for another 30 years.
BayouSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:55   #60
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

First Mate Yacht Services located in Camachee Cove marina in St. Augustine. Nice and knowledgable folks, you can reach them at (904) 829-0184
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, repower