Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 14:03   #61

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

I would encourage you to re-think “ new engine.” We recently had engine issues that were significant enough to ponder a new engine. The quote for a new comparable engine was $17,000 not including the actual installation and necessary alterations. The old engine -Westerbeke 55 - ( actually an Isuzu 4LE2) was rebuilt for less than $2800 drive-out. I didn’t use a yacht shop, I used a diesel shop familiar with construction equipment Diesel engines. Got it back in 9 days. Repainted it and replaced all belts and hoses myself (extra $400 ). No modifications to the mounts or engine compartment, shift linkage or fuel, water, drive shaft or electrical connections.
The engine vendors I talked to- a lot- were fairly consistent in telling me that engines at present are generally back-ordered, and not to expect availability before September.
The beauty of small marine Diesel engines is that in almost all cases the engines were designed for general applications: pumps, compressors, generators, front-end loaders, fork-lifts, etc. etc. thus familiarity and expertise is not confined to the relatively small yacht industry. Parts for Perkins (Westerbeke) engines for example from the early 60’s are still commonly available. High-time diesels (15,000 hrs) abound, though at some point injectors will need servicing and poorly-attended oil changes and other mal-maintenance issues will require bearings and rings.
But I’d update it, not change it.
Old 04-07-2022, 15:42   #62

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
Joel has not yet retired. His Yanmar repowers are a thing of beauty. He’s an artist !
When did you do that Yanmar repower? Was it brand new or rebuilt?

Tags
east coast, repower