Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 17:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Routing of Throttle and Shift Cable

We are currently in the process of diagnosing why it is so dang hard to shift and expecting to have to replace the cable. Might even go ahead and take care of the throttle cable while we are inside the pedestal, if we deem it necessary.

Currently, the cables come out of the pedestal and make a 90 turn to stern, run down along the hull, then make another turn to run forward. I assume this was done in order to keep the space back there as open as possible: one can actually crawl back in there and work. However, is it kosher? Does it sound like something the builder would have done or likely a later modification? Could the angles be part of the problem?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 17:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: routing of throttle and shift cable

If they are gentle bends with a large radius, cables can make several turns without problem, but one sharp kink will ruin it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 17:28   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

What kind of transmission do you have? If it's a Paragon, it normal for them to be hard to shift.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 17:46   #4

I am not sure of anything, yet. The transmission is never part of the specs However, both the delivery captain and the mechanic commented on the issue. The mechanic thought the transmission might be leaking, but didn't make any other comments about the transmission, but rather showed me how to remove the compass to access the mechanics of the pedestal.
Old 16-06-2014, 17:58   #5

As long as I have your attention, if the problem turns out to be the selectors themselves, does that mean replacing that ring on the pedestal or can they be worked on?
Old 16-06-2014, 19:56   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Wow, too quick for me...

I was about to say... Check the selector lever box.

I recently went through this with our boat. Wasted ages checking cables for kinks, regreasing them etc, before I went, "wait a minute...." and pulled apart the selector lever box.

I simply cleaned it all in kero to get rid of the old hardened grease, wiped with a clean rag to get rid of the kero, reassembled the whole lot, packed with fresh good quality grease, and bingo, PERFECT shifting and throttle control, I can now use my little finger to set the throttle to perfection.

Honestly, as I was doing the job I really thought I was wasting my time, I simply could not see how the state of the lever as it appeared could be causing so much friction, it LOOKED fine. But I am so glad I perservered.

And our control lever was installed in 1986, so it ain't exactly new.

Matt
Old 16-06-2014, 19:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I am not sure of anything, yet. The transmission is never part of the specs .
Err... I hope you are joking...? Right?

Transmission is a CRITICAL part of the specs in my book. There are brilliant transmissions out there and total dogs. If I was buying a boat I would REALLY want to know what trans was in there. It would have a major influence on what I was prepared to pay for the boat.

Matt
Old 16-06-2014, 20:09   #8

Not kidding: I have never seen the transmission on a spec sheet. As a matter of fact, despite being an avid reader of these forums, I haven't seen very many transmission discussions, and I have never seen it on the checklists for new buyers.

It would be interesting to know how many owners know what kind of transmission they have.
Old 16-06-2014, 22:38   #9

Might be an Aussie thing then. Every boat we looked at listed the trans along with engine, drive ratio and in some cases the prop specs as well. Either way I would never buy a boat without knowing what trans it had. Some of them are a nightmare to own.
Old 16-06-2014, 23:27   #10

Re: Routing of Throttle and Shift Cable

This got my curiosity, so I searched on Yachthub, monohulls between 35 and 45 feet, under AU$150K, which would pretty well replicate our original boat search a couple of years ago.

Of the first ten, four listed the transmission, 6 didn't, so I am a bit off with my assertions there. (Blush!)

HOWEVER, I looked at all 11 of the inventories I received from brokers when I enquired about boats for sale, and every one of them bar 1 listed the transmission.

I wonder if it is a product of the price range or boat size or is it cultural...?

Either way, I would like to think the majority of cruisers knew the make and model of their transmission.

I'll stop beating the horse now...

Matt

Tags
rot