Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 13:50   #16

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Running diesel without belt?

If it were me I’d do it only motoring the engine via starter (shutdown via fuel cutoff) also see if you have any starter time limits.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:06   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Take a pair of your old belts and cut up a bunch of pieces of 80 grit sandpaper about 1”x1” and apply contact cement to the back. Then apply the glue to the V belt side of the belt. Let dry. Doesn’t take long if you follow directions of contact cement and wait 20 minutes before you stick them on.
Then put the belts back on the pull slightly loose and run the engine. Try various speeds. May have to adjust belt. Let it run for 1 hour and check pulley surfaces. If need run it more. Adjusting as needed.
I’ve done this before but it has been a while and my boat has different engines. I was cleaning out garage just last week and came across them and threw them out as they no longer fit my engines which use serpentine ones now.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 20:35   #18

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Sounds dangerous to me. The engine will be fine but you could end up with wire in your eye or body parts damaged. Just plain dumb to do this. Get some sand paper and rub it out and rotate the pulley by hand if need to.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 00:49   #19

If you use a file make sure you are holding it against the pulley such that it will be pulled out of your hand when something goes wrong. As opposed to having the shank driven into your palm!

Seriously, take the pulley off and clean it on the bench or in a sandblaster. But if it is the belt surface badly pitted then just get a new pulley.

If still determined to fix it, go buy some Devcon epoxy and fill the pits after a thorough sandblasting. Then machine back to original diameter/shape. Best to check machining cost vs new pulley costs.... and Devcon is far from cheap.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 01:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
... You can monitor the temp by your hand. Too hot to touch - shut down...
For the adventurist, too hot to touch hold - shut down.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 13:28   #21

Boat: Dufour 385

Thanks all. Decided not to go dangerous. Glad, tho, to confirm the engine would not be hurt.
Ciao.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:29   #22

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Take a pair of your old belts and cut up a bunch of pieces of 80 grit sandpaper about 1”x1” and apply contact cement to the back. Then apply the glue to the V belt side of the belt. Let dry. Doesn’t take long if you follow directions of contact cement and wait 20 minutes before you stick them on.
Then put the belts back on the pull slightly loose and run the engine. Try various speeds. May have to adjust belt. Let it run for 1 hour and check pulley surfaces. If need run it more. Adjusting as needed.
I’ve done this before but it has been a while and my boat has different engines. I was cleaning out garage just last week and came across them and threw them out as they no longer fit my engines which use serpentine ones now.
There's a commercial product which does the same thing. I inherited it when we bought the boat but have not used it. I regret to say that I cannot readily put my hands on it, or I'd give you the name and part number...

And, apparently, it didn't catch on, as numerous searches using any form of pulley cleaning structure in the search generated no such responses.

As to earlier respondents' assertion to take off the pulley and turn it on a lathe, on my Perkins 4-154, it MAY come off with more creativity, but I could not budge it (the PTO triple sheave came off without much argument, and as I don't need it in my current configuration, I merely cleaned it up and painted it, where it remains in stores these 15 years later).

I'm facing a pitted pulley, and while it doesn't seem to affect belt life, it does generate dust, which is irritating but not fatal
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any significant metal you remove will make the belt sit further down, there isn’t much there to start with.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Now I know why American lawyers have such a market.

No doubt after you have injured yourself and stuffed the engine you will find one who will enable you to sue Yanmar!

Perhaps for not putting a large label in full view to the effect that people with crazy ideas should keep their body parts away from the moving parts of a running engine.

Explains why when you buy something now there are no meaningful instructions, but pages and pages of warnings with large exclamation marks followed by pages of compliance certificates.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:17   #25

Boat: Vertue 11

Hi. A friend of mine lost a couple of fingers doing that.... He really should have known better as he has been a marine engineer for years.

It will happen so quickly you will not even know they have gone until you lift you arm up!!!!!!
John56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If pitting is deep or wastage/wear is extensive, replace. If you recondition, polish with a progression of sandpaper to 2k grit. If belt is or is nearly bottoming out, replace. There may not really be enough metal there to deepen the bottom of the groove safely.

You might want to take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a serpentine belt, which will help out a lot when you want to upgrade to a bigger alternator, or add engine mounted compressor, watermaker pump, etc.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New engines have those silly belt guards don’t they? They are I guess needed for the same people that will try to clean grass out of a running lawnmower so you have to have a brake on the push bar.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41   #28

DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT !!!!!!!!
A huge safety risk!
You may get one (or more) of your finders amputated or worse.
No short cuts around the running engine...
I would remove the starter's battery terminals, get the key OUT of the ignition then I KNOW that the engine is safe...
Then I will manualy use a corse sand paper or electric die grinder fitter with a copper brush
Stay safe buddy
Gounkoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 19:16   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread reminds me of this. For all of us former Bug owners.
https://youtu.be/BQhfcdQf1QA
Old 02-12-2019, 20:00   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This thread reminds me of this. For all of us former Bug owners.
https://youtu.be/BQhfcdQf1QA
Crikey!

I gotta say I never thought of doing that and somehow, I don't think I gonna try now.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel